Thread: Singapore Butterfly Checklist

Default Singapore Butterfly Checklist

Hi Guys,

Just want to check the updated checklist. When i checked the Singapore Butterfly Checklist link in the homepage, its showing 287

Checklist link inside forum is showing "Checklist 2" is showing 300

SGbug is showing 294

Cheers,
    Ally

The Singapore Butterfly Checklist only counts the number of unique species, and does not count three sub-species (species no. 73, 74 and 89).

The Sgbug list includes a few species confirmed but yet to be announced/included in the official checklist, hence it stands at 294.

The BC checklist2 of 300 counts at the sub-species level, hence a higher number. However it seems too high to me as well. Looks like an audit is in order.
    Horace

Took a calculator and caculated the species.. 299 species + subspecies in total. The extra 1 came from a duplicate entry in the database.
    Anthony
    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or one.

Something is wrong. Like Horace said... time for an audit. I'll do a quick check with I get back from Penang.

Ally, has this got something to do with the Singapore Discovery Centre advert in TODAY newspaper that posed the question "Do you know how many butterfly species are there in Singapore"?

That advert is a total embarrassment to SDC. Ask the question, and then show an American Monarch butterfly as a centrepiece. It's as though the Monarch is a Singapore species! The fella who posted that ought to be shot!
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Something is wrong. Like Horace said... time for an audit. I'll do a quick check with I get back from Penang.

Ally, has this got something to do with the Singapore Discovery Centre advert in TODAY newspaper that posed the question "Do you know how many butterfly species are there in Singapore"?

That advert is a total embarrassment to SDC. Ask the question, and then show an American Monarch butterfly as a centrepiece. It's as though the Monarch is a Singapore species! The fella who posted that ought to be shot!
    Hi Khew, yeah saw it in Today newspaper and wonder the current listing.

Ally