Thread: Hyalinity of FPF's wing spots

Default Hyalinity of FPF's wing spots

One Fulvous Pied Flat eclosed early this morning, and I missed the event totally.

Quite by accident, I noticed the changes in the appearance of hyaline spots on its forewings when the main light source (a table light) was moved across the scene. Thought that this aninmated gif would be a good example of showing the hyalinity of such spots.
    Horace

Interesting... maybe you should do this effect on the other specimens that you are breeding and you may find something else new!
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Can we also determine that during different parts of the day when the sun is shining in different direction, the colours actually help the butterfly to be well camouflage?

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Interesting... maybe you should do this effect on the other specimens that you are breeding and you may find something else new!
    Something new? These hyaline spots are mentioned in the ID key for FPF, so the fact that these spots are translucent/transparent is not new.

However, I will try this effect on future specimens to check for presence of hyaline spots and markings.

Quote Originally Posted by benetay View Post
    Can we also determine that during different parts of the day when the sun is shining in different direction, the colours actually help the butterfly to be well camouflage?
    That is an interesting thought.
    Maybe someone can do some research on the possible use of hyaline spots for camouflage purpose.
    Horace

Quote Originally Posted by horace2264 View Post
    Something new? These hyaline spots are mentioned in the ID key for FPF, so the fact that these spots are translucent/transparent is not new.
    Not for the FPF, but other skipper species like the Caltoris, Pelopidas and Polytremis spp. where the upperside and underside spots are sometimes different. Shining a light through may show up spots which may be otherwise missed.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Good idea there Horace, I tried that only on specimen but not live butt, to chk the translucent spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Not for the FPF, but other skipper species like the Caltoris, Pelopidas and Polytremis spp. where the upperside and underside spots are sometimes different. Shining a light through may show up spots which may be otherwise missed.
    Agreed that not all ID keys for skipper species are detailed enough, and we probably can fill in some regarding the spots if I have the chance to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Good idea there Horace, I tried that only on specimen but not live butt, to chk the translucent spots.
    Yes, I believe set specimens are regularly examined by researchers and collectors alike in this manner for such details.
    Horace