Thread: A Commander at Sime Track on 8 Aug

Default A Commander at Sime Track on 8 Aug

Saw this Commander high up looking for his army. It was so sensitive to flash light - lifting up its wings everytime it sees flashes.
    #1 :

My patience and persistance paid off as the Commander decided to come down. But still very shy.

Decided to show off infront of me but very fast it said

Hi federick,
    I have the same experience that every time I pressed the shutter, the butterfly wings will be lifted up a little causing the photo with the blur wings. If you keep trying, you may get one nice shot.
    BTW, I am not sure it was caused by the flash, or probably caused by the sound of the camera shutter.
    Any one know how light (flash) will affect butterfly ? How does butterfly
    see the world, or sense movements ? Thanks.
    Regards, << Yong >>

Quote Originally Posted by Yong San
    Hi federick,
    I have the same experience that every time I pressed the shutter, the butterfly wings will be lifted up a little causing the photo with the blur wings. If you keep trying, you may get one nice shot.
    BTW, I am not sure it was caused by the flash, or probably caused by the sound of the camera shutter.
    Any one know how light (flash) will affect butterfly ? How does butterfly
    see the world, or sense movements ? Thanks.
    Regards, << Yong >>
    From my experience, it should be flash. When I off the flash, wings were not flicked. Some species are quite sensitive to flash.
    NEO Chee Beng

Quote Originally Posted by Common Rose
    From my experience, it should be flash. When I off the flash, wings were not flicked. Some species are quite sensitive to flash.
    Agree with Neo, it's the flash. Sometimes it flew off so fast that I don't even got to see them on film
    Ben Jin

Another species that when flash is fired the wings will be lifted a bit is Horsefield's Baron that I saw during the CD/USR outing.
    Encounter a few other species behaving the same way but at the moment just can't recall.

It's not only a bit, sometimes the wings will also appear vertical on the shots!
    NEO Chee Beng

actually, if you persist and keep firing yr flash, they will eventually ignore it. Happen to me and cheezypoof at SICC on Mon. with a male Knight. We kept firing our flashes and after awhile it just stayed still for us.. Even viscount and archduke are sensitive to flash