Thread: 20-Feb-07 CCA

Default 20-Feb-07 CCA

Went butts hunting in CCA with Khew on this Third Day of Lunar New Year
    and managed to achieve record shots of the Blue Jay, Taractrocera ardonia lamia (pics 1, 2 and 3) and E. simulatrix tecmessa. Khew's help was instrumental in getting the +1 for the skipper as I would have dismissed it as another dartlet or bush hopper active in the vicinity.

As Khew was shooting the skippers on the stream bank, I checked up the vegetation at the nearby trail, and shot this Nacaduba species (pic 4) from a distance on the mile-a-minute plant. At that time I thought it was a common or dark caerulean, but now a closer look at home seems to suggest a possible ID of either the Rounded 6-line blue or N. calauria malayica. What do you think?

Horace
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on your +3. Nice background on the first shot of T. ardonia. The sandy stream makes some nice orange backgrounds.

The UFO looks closer to a N. calauria.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Congrats on your +3. Nice background on the first shot of T. ardonia. The sandy stream makes some nice orange backgrounds.

The UFO looks closer to a N. calauria.
    Thanks, Khew. It is a pity I couldn't get a nice and sharp shot of the skipper with the other background as you did.

Comparing against the pictures for both Nacaduba species in the plate 37 C&P4 does point to a closer match with N. calauria malayica. But I suppose a definite answer can only come with a view of the upperside.

Horace

nice!
    Chee Ming, Sum