Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Id skipper

Default Id skipper

The skippers are going to drive me crazy. Please help me id these two, which I think were the same species. Chestnut Bob?

NEO Chee Beng

Well, for one thing, these are definitely not Chestnut Bobs.

ID'ing of these skippers is a challenge, and if you have C&P4, there are some species which C&P4 states that "positive separation of the species can only be confirmed through genitalia dissection". Hence characteristics like wing spots and colours are unreliable in the ID.

With the advancement of DNA analysis, it's hoped that one day, we will be able to better ID the species more accurately without resorting to physical appearances and/or dissection.

Having said that, these shots appear to be closer to the Polytremis or Pelopidas species.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

These were shot at AH, first two on 2 Jul, and the 3rd on 30 Jun.
    NEO Chee Beng

Quote Originally Posted by Rustic
    Might not be Contiguous Swift ... the spots are relatively larger than the specimen. There are less spaces between the spots on the hindwing's underside.
    For this species, the size of spots is unreliable as an identification characteristic due to the high degree of variation in specimens.
    Khew SK

you guys are amazing...they all look the same to me loh! If I were Neo, I won't even have asked if they were Chestnut Bobs...would have filed straight into the Chestnut Bob folder liow!

Looks like I better buy the C&P4 and hug it to sleep every night liow! :bsmileo:
    ~Ying Ling

Chestnut Bob can be ID quite accurately but Mycalesis spp, the brown (Pelopidas, Polytremis) and orange colour (Ampittia,Telicota, Potanthus etc )skippers are very tough to ID. I usually just file them under Mycalesis spp, Brown skippers and Orange Skippers unless I am 100% sure

Quote Originally Posted by Cycad Blue
    you guys are amazing...they all look the same to me loh! If I were Neo, I won't even have asked if they were Chestnut Bobs...would have filed straight into the Chestnut Bob folder liow!

Looks like I better buy the C&P4 and hug it to sleep every night liow! :bsmileo:
    no, burn then drink it

No... you must buy C&P4, then burn it, mix the ashes in water and drink the ashes...

BTW, I have 2 copies of C&P4 - one in a torn and tattered condition. Can loan to 'deserving' parties...
    Khew SK

hahahha khew and simon think alike!!!! :bsmileo:
    I borrowed C&P4 from the library liow, to browse thru before deciding whether to plonk $72 on a personal copy ;)
    ~Ying Ling

hahahha khew and simon think alike!!!! :bsmileo:
    I borrowed C&P4 from the library liow, to browse thru before deciding whether to plonk $72 on a personal copy ;)
    That's what my granny used to advocate, before exams. Burn some yellow paper (something called a "fish" in Chinese), then drink the ashes. Yucks! But then again... maybe that worked, cos I passed all my exams!
    Khew SK