Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butterfly Trapping @ Central Catchment Area

Default Butterfly Trapping @ Central Catchment Area

Got this posting from a local bird-watching mailing list, this is the first time I have heard of such things. Seems like this was spotted at SF near the Tree Top Walk. So when you guys go for your butt shoots, maybe can watch out for such illegal activities. BTW how does a butt trap look like? Anyone can post a pic? TIA.

Hi,

I was at Central Catchment on 23 May (Monday) & to my surprise, I’ve found some butterfly trappings (3 traps) somewhere near the path / trail directly below the tree top walk where it leads to the open Island Country Club. I believe that area is not as crowded or busy as the other trails that lead most joggers or trekkers to Bt Timah.

I hope all of us will keep a watchful eye on such traps if we were to venture into Central Catchment again time. The Nparks cannot be always station their men everywhere due to manpower constraints. We’ll help play our part for them.

Although I took out the traps from the hang-up, a few mens shouted at me from a far distance gesturing me to leave the traps alone (they looks like middle aged uncle) but I ignore. I’ve since confiscated 3 such traps & will be handling over to Nparks for their follow up actions.

I hope our butterfly species will remain intact so long as we all play our part for the good of nature in Singapore.

Thanks

Rgds,

Ben Lee
    Steven Wee

Geez... this sounds bad. I thought that these trappers had gone extinct. I hope your friend makes this report to NParks so that they will post this in their internal correspondence to all their rangers and volunteer groups to watch out for these traps.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Not jsut Abisara, Yellow Flash etc.

I think I have to carry Nparks number with me just in case I need to call them.

Quote Originally Posted by Federick
    Not jsut Abisara, Yellow Flash etc.

I think I have to carry Nparks number with me just in case I need to call them.
    Know what's the tel #?
    Ben Jin

These ppl just make me

# What are NParks' address and contact numbers?

National Parks Board HQ
    1 Cluny Road
    Singapore 259569

Tel : 6471 7808
    Helpline toll-free number : 1800-4717300
    Fax : 6472 3033
    skyflash (or Tan CP) (4095.2m @ 040528-0711) (4200m@050930-16xx)
    #1@030809/AHBT Centurion@040829/SF #200@051101/Ubin
    @istockphoto @picasaweb (by family) @photobucket (-2008) (2008-) @multiply (blogs)

The numbers starting with 471 xxxx are located at NParks HQ at SBG. This is NParks' main public hotline for all sorts of feedback.

For poachers, it may be more effective to go directly to the enforcement rangers.

I'll put up one or two of the rangers' contact numbers or their base contact number later.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Commander
    Geez... this sounds bad. I thought that these trappers had gone extinct. I hope your friend makes this report to NParks so that they will post this in their internal correspondence to all their rangers and volunteer groups to watch out for these traps.
    I do not know him personally, but I believe he has done so already (he stated that he confiscated the traps and hand over to NParks.) He has also alerted NSS's Bird Group ML to watch out for such traps.
    Steven Wee

If you see such traps, do not take things into your own hands as it could be legitimnate research traps. Instead, contact NParks ranger and let them do their work.