Thread: Some KL Butterflies

Threaded View

Default Some KL Butterflies

I must thank Yong San for taking his time off bringing me to FRIM (Forest Research Institute Malaysia) during my short free-and-easy holiday in Kulua Lumpur (KL) with my family.

Occupying a huge area of 600 hectares in Kepong, about 16 km north-west of KL, this tropical forest contains a wealth of flora and fauna species. However, due to the overcast weather, I could only spot and get very few shots (other fauna species will be shown in my blog later)

Here are some record shots with minimal PS post-processing.

1. Coon (Psolos fuligo fuligo ) - quite abundant and very sensitive to camera flash light.

2. Narrow banded Velvet (Koruthaialos rubecula rubecula). Should be : Bright Red Velvet Bob (Koruthaialos sindu sindu)

3. Faunis kirata – very skittish guy and it was found at the water-fall ground.

4. Dark Blue Jungle Glory (Thaumantis klugius lucipor) – at the water-fall.

Next day, I went to the KL Butterfly Park on my own, the weather again was cloudy and the place was full of tourists. Met one butterfly photographer from India who uses a Sigma lens (sorry can’t remember his name – hope he becomes a member here) came two days in a row.

The entrance fees for foreigner is (18 + 1 = 19) ringgit . I had only about 2.5 hours there as I had to meet up with two ladies in my family at KLCC for lunch.

Ok, here are most of my record shots.

5. Great Helen (Papilio iswara iswara ) ? – the shape of the tails puzzles me. Correction : should be Red Helen (Papilio helenus helenus).

6. A Notocrypta species – which one ? Quite surprise to see a skipper in the enclosure.

7. Great Mormon (Papilio memnon agenor ) – quite a number of them.

8. Malayan Birdwing (Troides amphrysus ruficollis) correction : it should be The Mountain Birdwing (Troides cuneifera peninsulae) - now I notice that the 2nd or 3rd segment of the thorax reddened.
    Last edited by Peacock Royal; 02-Jan-2011 at 10:40 PM.