Greetings,

My family and I are holidaying up in the wet tropics of Mission Beach, QLD, for a week. Mission Beach has long been our favourite family holiday location and it is great to have all of grown kids with us again. This trip is part of my wife’s 60th birthday surprise.

“Wet tropics” is an appropriate term for this area this year. It has rained everyday and sometimes for the entire day. Finding and photographing butterflies has been difficult so I do not have nearly as many photos to share as I had hoped. North eastern Queensland is the area in Australia with the greatest diversity and density of butterflies.

I will begin with a few habitat shots and then add butterflies and other interesting animals that I have observed on this trip.

Mission Beach

… view of Mission Beach and offshore islands from Bicton Hill. We climb this hill once or twice each day for exercise.

Murray Falls – about 45 minutes inland from Mission Beach

Orange Bush-Brown (Mycalesis terminus) – This is the most common butterfly in the area. It also is one of our mere three species of [I]Mycalesis[/].

Evening Brown (Melanitis leda)