Greetings,

Last November, I went on a trip for three days to the Iron Range National Park. This park is located near the northern end of the Cape York Peninsula. A 4x4 vehicle is required for the drive but the main north/south road is in good condition unless it rains. The road that branches to the east and eventually reaches the Lockhart River is more difficult. We were delayed for a couple of hours on our return journey due to a road train that had become stuck in one of the river crossings.

The Iron Range NP was long on my wish list of places to visit. The forest of the park is really an extension of New Guinea into Australia. Many plants and animals are found only in these rainforests in Australia although they may be more widespread further to the north. For my friend and I, the real attraction was the chance to look for a Green Tree Python, the most beautiful of the pythons in Australia.

Here is a Google Earth Map that shows the location of the Iron Range:

The drive to the park passed through dry, open eucalyptus forest. The grassland understorey is burned at the end of the dry season to improve the feed for cattle. Notice anything in the first photo below??? (hint, right centre)

The Iron Range itself was a mosaic of rainforest and eucalyptus woodland:

Some parts of the park were covered with heath lands:

... beach area near Lockhart River, an aboriginal village.