PDA

View Full Version : New hunting ground found

Common Mime
04-Jun-2010, 12:56 PM
Took a week off to be a parents' boy and visited some villages for "sight seeing" and found this new ground with many flying jewels. I tugged along my brother Canon 30D with T90mm as I was not prepared for the shoot with built-in flash.

Reached there around 11am and Ben Jin shown us his warm welcome. Saw a few Rajah Brooke's Birdwings fluttering around, which one of them has white patch on the hindwings (male/female?).

The butterfly that excited me was the Green Dragontail however, it went to hide after that and let its cousin, the White Dragontail to entertain me.

Only spent 30 mins there before my parents get mad with me. :-(

#1 & #2
Athyma larymna siamensis

Caleta roxus pothus (The Straight Pierrot)

White Dragontail

Plain Nawab

Cruiser and Athyma larymna siamensis

Common Mime
04-Jun-2010, 01:02 PM
The new ground with cooling mini waterfall.

Common Mime
04-Jun-2010, 01:22 PM
Shot these with the Olympus EP1 with kit lens

Silverstreak
04-Jun-2010, 01:50 PM
CM,

Oh , now I remember around July is your Dad's Birthday!:cheers:

Your home town and surrounding areas is indeed what LC called "" Butterfly Heaven"" ! Just came back and I want to go again!;P

Wha! New toy???

From the Olympus EP-1 shots it appears to be a very capable camera, with the macro attachment perhaps a Raynox 250 it could be a macro enthusiast's light setup.

Thanks for sharing these wonderful shots!!

Cheers!

Glorious Begum
04-Jun-2010, 03:36 PM
Didn't know Ben Jin is from there. Confused. :confused:

Silverstreak
04-Jun-2010, 03:41 PM
Ben Jin aka ...Cruiser.

Painted Jezebel
04-Jun-2010, 03:42 PM
Thank you for these photos. I had not seen the Athyma larymna siamensis (The Great Siam Sergeant) before. You can guage its size perfectly in the photo with the cruiser, it is indeed very large!

Glorious Begum
04-Jun-2010, 04:07 PM
Ben Jin aka ...Cruiser.

lol ! Very notty you guys. :bsmile:

Common Mime
04-Jun-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks, Sunny. You have a great memory. My dad's birthmonth falls on July indeed. :thumbsup: However, this trip was not meant for his birthday but it is because i have not gone back for a year. ;P

It is BC that make me proud of my hometown with many species of butterflies. There are many other butterflies I saw with no photos taken.

The butts are so drunk feeding on this rock. I need to "reset" their position "manually" in order to take a solo portrait of them one by one. ;P

You are very right on the size of the Athyma larymna siamensis, Les. It is huge!

Cruiser
04-Jun-2010, 06:58 PM
lol ! Very notty you guys. :bsmile:

Wish I was there too to shoot these lovely butts :)

Banded Yeoman
04-Jun-2010, 07:22 PM
Ya. I wish I was there too.:)

butterfly_effect
06-Jun-2010, 10:28 PM
Beautiful shots! Look at all of them altogether.. one big happy butterfly family!

Sky Blue
07-Jun-2010, 08:55 AM
V good series there CM! Athyma larymna siamensis is something new to many of us.