View Full Version : What form of Jacintha Eggfly??

Silverstreak
03-Jun-2010, 11:45 PM
Have not seen this form of Hypolimnas bolina jacintha (Jacintha Eggfly) for a long long while.... my first record on this form.

Thiam Peng and Khew what you call this form??

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/Schir/1DMK3----0953---03.jpg

:cheers:

Commander
04-Jun-2010, 12:32 AM
This is the female of the Great Eggfly (Hypolimnas bolina bolina) female form-nerina. It's not the Jacintha Eggfly.

But a good start to a discussion of the differences between the Jacintha Eggfly and the Great Eggfly. The identifying characteristics, which is the submarginal markings on the underside of the hindwing in Jacintha, seems to be changing very quickly, and it doesn't quite seem to be as reliable to use to ID between the two subspecies accurately.

Silverstreak
04-Jun-2010, 12:58 AM
Arhahhah!:bsmile: :bsmile:

At first IDed it as a Great Eggfly ........after poring over the differences of the upper of the shot and what we have on the checklist thought it is a Jancintha Eggfly.

Was confused by the marking on the upper of this gal and the one in the checklist, and decided it is Jacintha Eggfly which is wrong:

Commander
04-Jun-2010, 01:04 AM
Good comparisons. :thumbsup: However, the species in this genus is highly variable and the spots and markings can be so variable that no two specimens are alike! I recall Steven Neo telling me that he has quite a number of specimens in his collection during the 90's where everyone of the females look slightly different! :sweat:

Like the Autumn Leaf, these buggers are going to give us a hard time. And if we add the Jacintha Eggfly's "new" female forms previously unrecorded in the early authors' references, that I featured here (http://butterflycircle.blogspot.com/2009/11/observation-notes-on-variability-of.html) and here (http://butterflycircle.blogspot.com/2010/03/where-have-all-butterflies-gone.html), we will have a fun time trying to establish which one is ssp jacintha and which one is ssp bolina! :hmmm:

Commander
04-Jun-2010, 01:29 AM
Let's open this thread up for discussion on the two subspecies - bolina and jacintha as well as the numerous forms.

Firstly if we read C&P4, the following forms for ssp bolina are mentioned :

f-nerina
f-proserpina
f-alcmene
f-aphrodite
f-jacintha
f-perimele
And for ssp jacintha

f-incommoda
So if any of you shot any uppersides - particularly of the females, let's post here for comparison and discussion.

Commander
04-Jun-2010, 01:36 AM
Here's one of the forms shot at Ubin. Now which form is this one? :hmmm:

Painted Jezebel
04-Jun-2010, 09:05 AM
I don't envy you your problem. Fortunately, I only have ssp. jacintha up here, but even so, the females are very variable!:hmmm:

Banded Yeoman
04-Jun-2010, 07:25 PM
I've seen that form many times before.... But I dunno what it is called.:sweat:

Silverstreak
04-Jun-2010, 07:51 PM
f. ubin:bsmile: :bsmile: :bsmile:

Glorious Begum
04-Jun-2010, 09:18 PM
This one is similar to Khew's shot. Sorry for the dead specimen. Let me know if it is not allowed to post here. I will delete it.

Commander
04-Jun-2010, 09:59 PM
It's ok, LC. You're in KL. If there are any Singapore Nature :police: :police: :police: around, they will have to go visit you up there. :bsmile:

From what I have read, this form could be f-aphrodite

Banded Yeoman
05-Jun-2010, 11:21 AM
this form could be f-aphrodite

Heh. Butterfly goddess!:bsmile:

Commander
05-Jun-2010, 09:10 PM
Here's another shot of the f-nerina taken at Ubin Sensory Trail. :)