View Full Version : Murder in the name of Art??

Leopard Lacewing
04-Apr-2010, 11:10 PM
What a rainy day! Visited museums and saw this artwork in SAM this afternoon :what: Took it with my iPhone.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z307/leopardLacewing/Misc/IMG_0684.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z307/leopardLacewing/Misc/IMG_0676.jpg

Archduke
04-Apr-2010, 11:17 PM
is that suppose to be art or mass slaughter of butts =\

Commander
04-Apr-2010, 11:31 PM
Ooooo... I think Les would be upset. I see quite a few of his relatives on the plates. :omg:

Silverstreak
04-Apr-2010, 11:36 PM
:omg: what insensitivity !

And looking at the pins on these BFs , I suppose they are purely collected for this so call artistic presentation!...... very sick!

Which Museum and what is SAM?

If is one of ours I am ashamed.

Commander
04-Apr-2010, 11:38 PM
SAM = Singapore Art Museum ;P

Silverstreak
04-Apr-2010, 11:39 PM
I am voicing my objection to their sick arts!

Anyone has its address and email addy.

I am gonna write a stinko to who ever the F is in charge there.

Silverstreak
04-Apr-2010, 11:54 PM
As a leading butterfly site I think ButterflyCircle can not and should not keep mum on subject matter....... our silence will be tacit approval.

Just my two cents worth!

Great Mormon
04-Apr-2010, 11:58 PM
so much for celebrating Singapore's biodiversity and 2010 bio diversity year. :prrr:

thats not art, its a F... massacre! :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Sunny, im with sending them an email regarding this!

Commander
04-Apr-2010, 11:59 PM
Just check that those are real butterflies before you write. Bobby, can you verify?

SINGAPORE ART MUSEUM

71 Bras Basah Road, Singapore 189555

Director, SAM : Tan Boon Hui - tan_boon_hui@nhb.gov.sg
Tel : 63323698

The Plane
Can we confirm that these BF are real ? If they are, then I'm really shock to see this and Sunny, you have my support.

Silverstreak
Not just me sending !

Even if it is not real butterflies....... what it conveys also make me puke!

I have activated all my friends, and soon other web sites to object to this so call art.

Great Mormon
05-Apr-2010, 12:02 AM
FAQs
For general information about the Museum, please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions page.

NHB's FAQ
For general information about National Heritage Board, please refer to our NHB Frequently Asked Questions page.

General Enquiries (SAM Front Desk)
Telephone: (65) 6332 3222

Enquiries on SAM Education and Programmes
Telephone: (65) 6332 3220
Fax: (65) 6334 7919
Email: nhb_sam_programs@nhb.gov.sg

Enquiries on Facilities Rental
Please call 6332 9808 or email angeline_tan@nhb.gov.sg

Enquiries on Art To Go
Please call 6332 3222 or email silvia_chan@nhb.gov.sg to place your order

Please note:
Due to the number of enquiries we receive, it can take up to 3 working days to respond to e-mails.

Enquiries can made via this url
http://www.singaporeartmuseum.sg/contact/feedback.php

Commander
05-Apr-2010, 12:03 AM
Ok... if we individually write to the Director, I think the impact will be greater. I'll do a blog article about it.

Thanks Bobby, for highlighting this 'murder' :police:

Commander
05-Apr-2010, 12:05 AM
Sunny, can you pop by tomorrow and take more photos?

Silverstreak
05-Apr-2010, 12:24 AM
I would not be free tomolo. Anyone volunteer ?

Blue Nawab
05-Apr-2010, 12:24 AM
The following site has the contacts of the people on the board of the SAM.
http://app.sgdi.gov.sg/listing.asp?agency_subtype=dept&agency_id=0000000026

The Plane
05-Apr-2010, 12:26 AM
I think those BF are real. You can download the exhibition brochure at this link, see pg 48 :
http://www.singaporeartmuseum.sg/download.php?file=downloads/sam_fx_harsono.pdf

This guy also does it on bees as well if you see page 46

The title and description of this BF meal as in the brochure :

"Bon Appetit
2008 Installation with table, cloth, chairs, tableware, needles and butterflies Dimensions variable Artist collection

In this installation, a table is laid for a meal, the cutlery and chinaware meticulously arranged according to the table etiquette of the elite, anticipating the arrival of diners possessing social status and privilege. Startlingly, the bowls and plates are filled not with food but
with butterflies, neatly fastened to the chinaware. Much of Harsono’s recent work has employed the butterfly as a symbol of a victim — beautiful and vulnerable, and inevitably, destined for destruction or attack. The butterflies in Bon Appetit are forcibly pinned down, about
to be consumed. While the work appears charming on the surface, it nonetheless hints at unequal power relations in society, and the relationship between the powerful and the powerless. The suggestion of a domestic or interior setting also marks a shift from Harsono’s
earlier works, where the streets and public areas were the theatres of violence, and sites of protest and resistance. Now, as Bon Appetit suggests, violence and danger have subtly infiltrated the home, the most personal and private of spaces."

So sad,.....:cry:

butterfly_effect
05-Apr-2010, 12:29 AM
GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR *foams at the mouth*

I am WRITING IN!!!!!!!!!!! *MURDEROUS*

Great Mormon
05-Apr-2010, 12:50 AM
The butterflies in Bon Appetit
are forcibly pinned down

terrible!!! :cry:

Silverstreak
05-Apr-2010, 12:54 AM
What I have posted in both local and international forums.

One of the ""artistic"" Presentation at Singapore Art Museum...

We are ascertaining if these are real butterflies, even if it is not , do you call this art and what message does it convey!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/Schir/SNAG_Program-0053.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/Schir/SNAG_Program-0051.jpg

Yes they are real butterflies according to this exhibition brochure on pg 48 :

http://www.singaporeartmuseum.sg/download.php?file=downloads/sam_fx_harsono.pdf

He does that to bees too ...pg 46

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/Schir/SNAG_Program-0054.jpg

For objection to such perverted art form, here is the address to the Singapore Arts Museum

SINGAPORE ART MUSEUM

71 Bras Basah Road, Singapore 189555

Silverstreak
05-Apr-2010, 01:04 AM
Let's attack from multi-prone.....

Anyone wanna write to Straitstime Forum?

Commander
05-Apr-2010, 01:10 AM
Blog article (http://butterflycircle.blogspot.com/2010/04/murder-in-name-of-art.html) up... :)

butterfly_effect
05-Apr-2010, 01:17 AM
People, go in to the blogspot site on Khew's article and write in your support. IF the media goes in to see, they will want to see that there is a large community who feel the same way. This will lend more credibility to our cause.

Please write. Going in to write now.

Have sent a letter to the Director as well. Please also do so. Show your support. :)

Silverstreak
05-Apr-2010, 01:59 AM
I have sent mine...

Other than the director

tan_boon_hui@nhb.gov.sg

do wake up the Chairperson and its board members too:

jane.ittogi@shooklin.com.sg

audrey@substation.org

george.quek@breadtalk.com

ronny.tan@db.com

kwkwok@ntu.edu.sg

tkquek@rtnq.com

kenneth.choe@gs.com

apadpresident@yahoo.com.sg

teng@lobehold.com

blk21802@hotmail.com

winston.ang@nie.edu.sg

joyce_toh@nhb.gov.sg

:cheers:

Wanderer
05-Apr-2010, 08:13 AM
scarley u are accused of astroturfing. ;P

some media should be coming in soon...

I have sent mine...

Other than the director

tan_boon_hui@nhb.gov.sg

do wake up the Chairperson and its board members too:

jane.ittogi@shooklin.com.sg

audrey@substation.org

george.quek@breadtalk.com

ronny.tan@db.com

kwkwok@ntu.edu.sg

tkquek@rtnq.com

kenneth.choe@gs.com

apadpresident@yahoo.com.sg

teng@lobehold.com

blk21802@hotmail.com

winston.ang@nie.edu.sg

joyce_toh@nhb.gov.sg

Commander
05-Apr-2010, 09:21 AM
Give the Director of SAM a chance to respond to the emails that some of you have sent to him on the matter.

Painted Jezebel
05-Apr-2010, 09:48 AM
I have just come across this. It is deeply disturbing to see that real creatures are still being used in what purports to be 'art'. There is a long history of butterfly wings being used, particularly the giant Morpho butterflies of South America, which are also used in jewelry. I have no doubt the the excuse will be that none of the species are CITES listed, and also a mass protest will mean that he has succeeded in his work in showing the Powerful v Powerless and provoking our anger.

And, yes, SK, there are several species of Delias there:cry: , and some Cepora species as well.

Glorious Begum
05-Apr-2010, 10:58 AM
These guys are fulled of sh!t in their heads. Can someone build a human size setting board. PIN them please. :mad2:

Silverstreak
05-Apr-2010, 12:38 PM
scarley u are accused of astroturfing. ;P

some media should be coming in soon...

Astroturfers attempt to orchestrate the actions of apparently diverse and geographically distributed individuals, by both overt ("outreach", "awareness", etc.) and covert (disinformation) means. Astroturfing may be undertaken by an individual pushing a personal agenda or highly organized professional groups with financial backing from large corporations, unions, non-profits, or activist organizations. Very often the efforts are conducted by political consultants who also specialize in opposition research. Beneficiaries are not "grass root" campaigners but distant organizations that orchestrate such campaigns.

They are most welcome to accuse me of austroturfing if it qualify for the meaning of the action. In fact I would welcome that additional publicity in making this repulsive art form known to a wider audience.

It still does not diminish the complicity and ""sabotage"" the Museum is doing to the nature conservancy image Singapore is attempting to project .

BTW which Ministry is in charge of Singapore BiodiverCity ?? Nparks, NEA?

Giving the Museum the time to right what is wrong, if they think it is in line with the nature conservancy image Singapore is projecting . As an important venue in educating the public they should showcase the exhibition as part of Singapore's City Biodiversity campaign. :bsmile:

Leopard Lacewing
05-Apr-2010, 01:29 PM
Ooooo... I think Les would be upset. I see quite a few of his relatives on the plates. :omg:

Sorry for the late reply. They are real... :cry:

When I saw the setup... first came to my mind was "OMG!!! Most of us will be much affected by it, especially Les" :what:

No wonder I can't sleep well :-(

butterfly_effect
05-Apr-2010, 10:27 PM
On a similar note to Harsono's disgusting work:

Check this ridiculousness out:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/3040891.stm

Liquidising goldfish 'not a crime'

Expert witnesses told the trial the fish died instantly
An art display which invited the public to put live goldfish through a food blender did not constitute cruelty to animals, a Danish court has ruled.
The goldfish were placed on display swimming in the blenders, and visitors were told they could press the "on" button if they wanted.

At least one visitor did, killing two goldfish.

Peter Meyer, director of the Trapholt Art Museum in Kolding, 200 kilometres (125 miles) west of Copenhagen, was fined for cruelty to animals after complaints from campaign group Friends of Animals.

It's a question of principle. An artist has the right to create works which defy our concept of what is right and what is wrong

Peter Meyer
Trapholt Art Museum
But a court in Denmark has now ruled that the fish were not treated cruelly, as they had not faced prolonged suffering.
The fish were killed "instantly" and "humanely", said Judge Preben Bagger.

The court had earlier heard an expert witness from the blenders' maker, Moulinex, that the fish had probably died within one second of the blender being switched on.

A vet also told the court that the fish would have died painlessly.

Mr Meyer will not now have to pay the fine of 2,000 kroner (269 euros) originally imposed by Danish police.

The case only went to court because he refused to pay the police fine. He told the court that artistic freedom was at stake.

"It's a question of principle. An artist has the right to create works which defy our concept of what is right and what is wrong," he told the court in Kolding.

The display featured a total of 10 blenders containing goldfish.

After the complaints, the blenders were unplugged and the exhibit continued without the possibility of killing the fish.

It was a protest against what is going on in the world, against this cynicism, this brutality that impregnates the world in which we live

Marco Evaristti
Artist
The exhibit was created by Chilean-born Danish artist Marco Evaristti, who was apparently trying to test visitors' sense of right and wrong.
Mr Evaristti said at the time he wanted to force people to "do battle with their conscience".

The idea, he said, was to "place people before a dilemma: to choose between life and death."

"It was a protest against what is going on in the world, against this cynicism, this brutality that impregnates the world in which we live," he said.

------------------------------------

QUESTION: Won't be it more effective if he shoots a guy dead in public and tests to see if other people around him will stop him?

According to the artist's argument, he is being brutal to protest against brutality.

Heck then, we should all go and rob/assault somebody to protest against crime. What a DUH argument!

Peacock Royal
05-Apr-2010, 10:27 PM
Too busy to read forum today.

I object strongly to this kind of "art".

What a irony ! While we are pushing for The Singapore Index on Cities' Biodiversity (CBI) another organisation, SAM put on a disgusting display of an innovative "art" that sends us a seriously wrong message that we can murder animals in the name of "art".

One thing for sure now, I will not support and bring visitors to SAM.

Silverstreak
05-Apr-2010, 10:30 PM
Will Singapore Degenerate into this ????

"It's a question of principle. An artist has the right to create works which defy our concept of what is right and what is wrong," he told the court in Kolding."

Peter Meyer
Trapholt Art Museum

I am an artist , Can I blend the judge's .........

Silverstreak
06-Apr-2010, 04:36 PM
MediaCorp CH 8 / CNA has interviewed me for my opinion and also SAM on the ""Bon Appetit"" exhibit.

I have gathered all the feedback from here and the Blog and narrated them on how we feel on the exhibit.

I was told , it will be aired as a news item in tonight news on CH 8 ( please pardon my poor Mandarin) :embrass: and likely CNA as well.

In essence I have presented the following points. which will likely be edited during processing and editing:

The artist says he wants to show how helpless and vulnerable the victims of social unbalance and the struggle of the powerful and powerless in society are through the exhibits.

In the process, he has created an irony here. This he does, by being just as brutal as the situation he wants to portray negatively by directly or indirectly killing these helpless butterfly specimen. For all intents and purposes, he has lost his right to judge, as he has become the perpetrator of the social unbalance and power struggle he try to condemn.

It is likely that the artist and museum will now claim that these are already naturally dead specimen when they were selected for the mounting, perhaps as an afterthought as there were no caption on the exhibit nor the brochure proclaiming them as such prior to the public voicing their disapproval.

However ,The pristine condition and posture of the 100 or so butterflies mounted suggested otherwise. Butterfly die of old age naturally do not do so with their wing open uniformly and are normally tattered and torn. It is more probable that these are selected pristine specimen , killed and mounted in the posture the artist deem them to be artistic.

It's a sad and disgusting act. Having to sacrifice them in order for the artist to portrait his inner thoughts to an audience who are then force to perceive this kind of work to be Art. Many Nature lover do not see art in such exhibit instead it convey the message of the insensitive killing and displaying of these beautiful dead creatures as an artistic piece.

where do we draw the line??? Are we to condone killing in the name of Art? To me and other nature lovers, no harmless creature big or small should die for art, no matter how important a message the artist might want to convey.

More pertinently : How are we supposed to embrace, support and educate our people in biodiversity conservation when these exhibits suggested the intentional or indirect murder of these beautiful insects, and then presented/ condone as an exhibit in the name of art?

No matter where these butterfly and bees are sourced from and how humane these creatures are put to their death by the artist directly or indirectly . It surely doesn't bring across the right message to the audiences especially the young ones about nature conservation , other than that man is at liberty to kill for his artistic expression and enjoyment .

I am having a hard time explaining to my 4 year old grandson who loves butterfly, that though butterflies cannot be eaten, but it is necessary to kill and display them on a dining table so that some artistic message can wake us up and educate us on the social ill of this world.

I do think that some soul searching is required in showcasing this form of art in our Museum, in what does it convey to the general public ? That it is ok to sacrifice lives of living creatures, as long as it is under the name of art?

Further , how does such exhibitions reinforces the education of Singaporean on loving nature and what message it convey to the world on Singapore as a strong advocate for biodiversity conservation ?

we deem these exhibits to be disgusting and it undermines Singapore's biodiversity conservation effort and the nature caring image Singapore is trying to project to the world at large.

Peacock Royal
06-Apr-2010, 05:37 PM
Well done Sunny. I will be watching the news tonight (not sure which time slot 6:30 or 10 pm ?). Is anyone going to record it ?

Glorious Begum
06-Apr-2010, 05:51 PM
please record and post it here. I want to see Sunny blends them kau kau..:whip:

Elbowed Pierrot
06-Apr-2010, 05:55 PM
Applause to Sunny's effort

Silverstreak
06-Apr-2010, 06:15 PM
This interview is a double edge sword while we put our view across it might inadvertently popularized his sick exhibits as a result. But after due consideration when it was referred to me I have to agree to be your mouthpiece .

I am rather disappointed at what I came to know of on some institutional response, even though they got into the picture but they have chosen to remain quiet and directing media query to ButterflyCircle instead approaching the Museum to resolve the issue. I guess it is good and handy to have NGOs to do the dirty work for them when they are faced with controversial issue.:) .... but it speaks volume of such attitude.

Nevertheless, we cannot keep quiet and let such art sneak through as a piece of art without thoroughly questioning how these creatures were sourced from and of what relevance it has to the big Biodiversity Conservation Program and public education that are being push both locally and in the international stage.

Silverstreak
06-Apr-2010, 06:47 PM
Received sms that it will be on Chinese news on Ch8 10 pm and ChU 11 pm.

If CNA decide to broadcast it will be at 10pm news slot.

Great Mormon
06-Apr-2010, 07:04 PM
Great effort Sunny! I will be watchign the news :)

The Plane
06-Apr-2010, 07:43 PM
Sunny, Thanks for all your effort, well done. Must go home early today to catch you on the news :redbounce

Commander
06-Apr-2010, 07:46 PM
Good work, Sunny. Let's hope you are given a good air time to say what you said. Your grandson also in the videoclip?

Common Mime
06-Apr-2010, 07:57 PM
Well done, Sunny.

Now then I see this post.

The comments on this issue should be separated out from Village Hut and be posted at General Discussion Forum, Butterfly Ecology, Behaviour & Evolution, or Activities and Outings instead!

atronox
06-Apr-2010, 08:01 PM
On a similar note to Harsono's disgusting work:

Expert witnesses told the trial the fish died instantly
An art display which invited the public to put live goldfish through a food blender did not constitute cruelty to animals, a Danish court has ruled.
The goldfish were placed on display swimming in the blenders, and visitors were told they could press the "on" button if they wanted.

At least one visitor did, killing two goldfish.

Peter Meyer, director of the Trapholt Art Museum in Kolding, 200 kilometres (125 miles) west of Copenhagen, was fined for cruelty to animals after complaints from campaign group Friends of Animals.

It's a question of principle. An artist has the right to create works which defy our concept of what is right and what is wrong

Peter Meyer
Trapholt Art Museum
But a court in Denmark has now ruled that the fish were not treated cruelly, as they had not faced prolonged suffering.
The fish were killed "instantly" and "humanely", said Judge Preben Bagger.

The court had earlier heard an expert witness from the blenders' maker, Moulinex, that the fish had probably died within one second of the blender being switched on.

A vet also told the court that the fish would have died painlessly.

Mr Meyer will not now have to pay the fine of 2,000 kroner (269 euros) originally imposed by Danish police.

The case only went to court because he refused to pay the police fine. He told the court that artistic freedom was at stake.

"It's a question of principle. An artist has the right to create works which defy our concept of what is right and what is wrong," he told the court in Kolding.

The display featured a total of 10 blenders containing goldfish.

After the complaints, the blenders were unplugged and the exhibit continued without the possibility of killing the fish.

It was a protest against what is going on in the world, against this cynicism, this brutality that impregnates the world in which we live

Marco Evaristti
Artist
The exhibit was created by Chilean-born Danish artist Marco Evaristti, who was apparently trying to test visitors' sense of right and wrong.
Mr Evaristti said at the time he wanted to force people to "do battle with their conscience".

The idea, he said, was to "place people before a dilemma: to choose between life and death."

"It was a protest against what is going on in the world, against this cynicism, this brutality that impregnates the world in which we live," he said.

------------------------------------

QUESTION: Won't be it more effective if he shoots a guy dead in public and tests to see if other people around him will stop him?

According to the artist's argument, he is being brutal to protest against brutality.

Heck then, we should all go and rob/assault somebody to protest against crime. What a DUH argument!
How is this even art?!
Animal cruelty aside, it doesn't even require any creativity to press a button.
And it doesn't matter how the fish die, it's message is that "killing animals for art is ok".
How can that be allowed?!

Common Mime
06-Apr-2010, 08:03 PM
Those people who beheaded people and display the head can call themselves artist?

butterfly_effect
06-Apr-2010, 08:06 PM
good work unker sunny! I skipped class to see ur telecast! Thank you for speaking up on behalf of nature lovers everywhere! We cannot and should not close our eyes to this.

butterfly_effect
06-Apr-2010, 08:10 PM
Those people who beheaded people and display the head can call themselves artist?

maybe the idea crossed some artists but it was too difficult to behead and preserve a few hundred vulnerable people heads so they decided to go for easier, more vulnerable prey. Heh.

benetay
06-Apr-2010, 08:34 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Well done Sunny! Well Done!!

Cheers!

Wanderer
06-Apr-2010, 09:07 PM
saw the introduction clip at the end of 6.30pm news. so guys, watch out for 10pm

Wanderer
06-Apr-2010, 09:07 PM
oh yes, prepare for more traffic to this site. ;P

Bluebottle
06-Apr-2010, 09:34 PM
Well done guys! Will be in front of TV for the 10:00 pm news tonight.

Leopard Lacewing
06-Apr-2010, 10:39 PM
Quick watch Channel 5 news in 3mins time ... :bsmile:

Cheers!

Painted Jezebel
06-Apr-2010, 10:43 PM
please record and post it here. I want to see Sunny blends them kau kau..:whip:

Well done, Sunny. Yes, please post the recording here. It may take me a long time to see it on my computer, but I willing to chance it going down again tor this.

Common Mime
06-Apr-2010, 11:10 PM
Sunny looks handsome on TV. Ha!

Suprise that they put this news on the first section.

Blue Nawab
06-Apr-2010, 11:16 PM
Channel 8 must have censored quite a bit of Sunny's interview and more talktime to the Museum supporter. The Exhibit will continue till the end, 9th May 2010.
Anyway, Sunny you did great, both in Mandarin and now awaiting for CNA..:cheers:

Common Mime
06-Apr-2010, 11:18 PM
I trust that Sunny did mention about BC but nothing was mentioned in the news. Disappointed.

Wanderer
06-Apr-2010, 11:28 PM
BC was given a voice over mention./

Archduke
07-Apr-2010, 12:15 AM
Is there a video? would like to see it as much as les does up at samui.

Well done uncle sunny, what u've done is something most of us here on the forum would find it hard making that move. :cheers:

horace2264
07-Apr-2010, 12:47 AM
The online news item is available here (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1048285/1/.html).
The link to the video can also be found on the same page.

Great Mormon
07-Apr-2010, 12:59 AM
Tan Boon Hui, director, Singapore Art Museum, said: "These were insects collected at the end of their lives and immediately treated by a taxidermist and formed into the posture or shape that he requires for the installation."

:nunu: :hammer: :shoot1: :aan: :whip:

Can't even cover up properly!

Commander
07-Apr-2010, 01:11 AM
Heh... the poor Director is rather clueless that taxidermy is used for vertebrate animals. See Wikipedia's definition of taxidermy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxidermy) or google for more details.

If he can't distinguish between a vertebrate (animals with backbones) and a butterfly, that is an invertebrate and has an exoskeleton, why should anyone believe him when he says that these pristine specimens are collected at the "end of their lives"??

Rather sad. He should have done his research properly before going on National TV and trying to bluff so ignorantly. Perhaps the general public can be fooled, but most nature enthusiasts and scientists around would be able to tell that he's talking nonsense. ;P

vespa_bicolor
07-Apr-2010, 03:52 AM
Just saw the clip on the CNA website. Good work Uncle Sunny!

Quite disheartening to see how people think there isn't too much of a problem behind this warped idea of art - perhaps because from a selfish viewpoint of many people these are "lesser animals". I would bet that if hamsters or birds were to be arranged into something like this, there would be an outcry even if the animals were specially collected for the purpose only after dying naturally. Seems like we still have a long way to go in spreading conservation knowledge.

Glorious Begum
07-Apr-2010, 10:21 AM
Just like talking to a bunch of Cow. :mad2:

Commander
07-Apr-2010, 10:53 AM
This article in the TODAY newspaper seems to suggest that the exhibition ends this Friday? Earlier reports were that the exhibition would last till the end of May?

Incorrect reporting? Or a change of mind on the part of SAM? :thinking:

horace2264
07-Apr-2010, 10:59 AM
This article in the TODAY newspaper seems to suggest that the exhibition ends this Friday? Earlier reports were that the exhibition would last till the end of May?

Incorrect reporting? Or a change of mind on the part of SAM? :thinking:

Should be incorrect reporting. The published end date is 9 May, and this Friday is 9 April.

Silverstreak
07-Apr-2010, 03:27 PM
There is an online version of Today coverage on the item:

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100407-0000106/Work-of-art-or-act-of-cruelty?

which has a "TalkBack" feature for your comments.

Silverstreak
07-Apr-2010, 06:02 PM
Do you agree with what director of SAM claim that these were naturally dead pristine butterflies, all 109 of them, before they were framed to the posture??

I supposed , he assume that the artist tells the truth and this is his assumption for continuing with the exhibits . Please do let your view be known to a wider audience at:

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100407-0000106/Work-of-art-or-act-of-cruelty?

Since all emails to him has been futile or all accidentally went into his email dustbin.:)

Silverstreak
07-Apr-2010, 06:55 PM
Finally the email gotten through for one reason or other.:)

My email to the Director and the Board at Museum of the Arts Singapore 05/04/2010 12:54 AM

Dear sirs and Madam,

I am voicing my strong objection to using insect specimen on exhibits at the FX Hartono Exhibition.

These are :

Keteropong(Watching The Wound) Brochure page 45

Thousand Times Pain brochure pg 46

Bon Appetit brochure page 48

Most, if not all of our butterfly- and nature-loving community in Singapore would be outraged at this totally insensitive display, killing so many butterflies just so that some artist can make a statement?

It is totally in bad taste, even as Singapore is celebrating the International Year of Biodiversity 2010 and priding ourselves in biodiversity conservation. Is this the message that we are sending out to the rest of the world - the hypocrisy and the duplicity that we are saying one thing, and then doing exactly the opposite?

For your kind attention and action!

Chir CP.

Receive at Wed 07/04/2010 05:09 PM

In essence :

Thank you for your feedback and for giving us the opportunity to clarify Harsono’s exhibition.

FX Harsono is an internationally recognized contemporary artist from Indonesia. Harsono takes his art practice seriously, putting much thought and research to create works about the value of life, democracy and justice.

According to Harsono, he ordered the butterfly and bee specimens from farms and taxidermists. The insects were collected at the end of their lives, treated, cosmetically enhanced and formed into the shape that he requires for the installation. As a practice, SAM does not allow use of live animals or specimens obtained illegally in our exhibitions.

Since the exhibition was opened in March, more than 25,000 people have visited Harsono’s show and we also received positive response about Harsono’s works and his practice.

Contemporary art is often thought-provoking. We appreciate your feedback to us, and the Museum will work to provide more discourse opportunities to facilitate the understanding and appreciation of contemporary art and its process of creation.

Commander
07-Apr-2010, 07:08 PM
Made the 'hot news' feature in Yahoo! SG. Even has a link showing ButterflyCircle URLs.

http://sg.yahoo.com/

Great Mormon
07-Apr-2010, 08:27 PM
Just opened my inbox... looks like its a copy + paste message from the director to both Sunny and Ellen.

It is so much cheaper to just buy the dead butterfly than someone to collect the old butterfly and touch up, as if it were photoshop.

So what if he is a internationally recognized contemporary artist. That doesnt justify to what he does is right, nor should we condone his actions.

Although it is not illegal for one to purchase these butterflies, it is ethically wrong to kill them just for one to get his point. Isn't it like a child throwing a tantrum?

Furthermore, 25,000 visitors? So what? It gives SAM business. Doesn't that make SAM as guilty as FX Harsono? It also promotes such practices, contradicting what is being done about conservation.

Positive feedback. I'm sure there are plenty. How about the negative feed back such as ones from the nature lovers who are against this disgusting display of cruelty?

Thought provoking? The subject here is not about art. It is with regards to the need of killing innocent insects such as butterflies and bees for such display.

If it is something to be commented about the art work, it has a very bad taste IMO!

Silverstreak
07-Apr-2010, 08:33 PM
KY thanks for the feedback.

Perhaps a letter to Credit Suisse the sponsor of the exhibition is in order!!:)

benetay
07-Apr-2010, 08:38 PM
Sigh!

I'm wondering if the 'artist' use humans nearing their life might create more impact.

Perhaps someone who believes him.

Cheers!

Silverstreak
07-Apr-2010, 08:39 PM
Well! As much as we wanna resolve it thru email , it has gone beyond our control and made it to local new , local yahoo hot news and soon perhaps regional news and it will show the world whether we are serious on Biodiverstity Conservation ...and the hypocrisy of it all .

Made the 'hot news' feature in Yahoo! SG. Even has a link showing ButterflyCircle URLs.

http://sg.yahoo.com/

benetay
07-Apr-2010, 08:50 PM
If it goes international, then the impact might be much much greater.

I really hope they remove it ASAP.

Totally unaccaeptable!

benetay
07-Apr-2010, 10:03 PM
Have PM a handful on another forum to look at the todayonline topic.

Cheers!

benetay
07-Apr-2010, 10:07 PM
Here is another. I think these artist are trying to go to places with lax legislation on such matters. No wonder they're famous!

Animal Cruelty is NOT art!
Category:
Common Interest - Pets & Animals
Description:
There is a Costa Rican 'artist' - Guillermo Habacuc Vargas, who produced a work of 'art' in Novermber of last year using a live animal and staving it to show the despair of abandoned animals. He message was profundly lost! This exhibit happened in a Nicaraguan art gallery last October. While there is an animal cruelty law in Costa Rica, there is no such legislation in Nicaragua; therefore the artist did not break the law by mistreating this dog.

The news did not seem to get picked up by the Costa Rican press until about a month after it happened. Even then there was very little coverage and it was never made clear whether the dog actually died, how long it was there and why nobody did anything if it was suffering. Following this, people around the world began protesting against Vargas, and the Costa Rica office of WSPA issued a statement in response to this act. A member society of WSPA in Honduras (AHPRA) also took action and wrote a statement which was sent to the appropriate authorities in Honduras.

The WSPA Costa Rica office has also contacted the Ministry of Art and Culture, to urge them to consider disallowing Vargas from representing Costa Rica at the Central American Biennial set to take place in Honduras this year. The response was that since Vargas was participating at the Biennial with a different exhibit (apparently not involving a dog this time), they could not ban him from attending.

This issue is of concern to the WSPA, and it is unfortunate that this artist will be able to gain publicity through this second exhibition despite his previous display involving mistreatment of this dog. The WSPA is against the use of animals for entertainment purposes. Despite this, it seems that there is little more that can be done to address this issue - it seems now that only awareness of this may hold the key to getting people like this 'artist' ban from public displays!

Elbowed Pierrot
08-Apr-2010, 11:02 AM
For the past couple of days, I read feedback about how people felt about the use of the butterflies to convey the message across as Art.

However, I think many miss the main Gs of the issue in question.

"Is the killing of these harmless creatures necessary" and there are other means to convey the same message without the necessity to use them in the art piece.

I believe there are other ways, either the artist think that using dead real creatures carries more impact than a fake look alike or he is so caught up with using real creatures that he has forgotten it is afterall another life he is taking away for his price to art is more than the worth of those creatures.

Silverstreak
08-Apr-2010, 10:22 PM
Update:

We have done well,:) on the main objective of registering our objection on the unnecessary sacrifice of any living things in the name of art.

We are being heard and responded to , now from the highest level of the National Heritage Board.

So sit tight and have a cold drink.

Cheers!

budak
08-Apr-2010, 11:19 PM
A different museum of butterflies:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8607634.stm

Silverstreak
08-Apr-2010, 11:29 PM
Marcus ,

Are you sure they are not pinned down???:bsmile: :bsmile: :bsmile:

Now I have phobia on viewing shots of butterflies from museum.....

Silverstreak
09-Apr-2010, 01:30 PM
check this out:

""As the larval hostplants for several of the species shown are currently not known, this is unlikely. If the farm did breed them, then they should inform the British Natural History Museum, which keeps an up to date record of all known hostplants for Lepidoptera. I somehow doubt whether they will recieve such information.""
(http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100407-0000106/Work-of-art-or-act-of-cruelty?)

I need to correct a couple of things said by the Museum Director.

He states that the specimens were 'farm bred'. As the larval hostplants for several of the species shown are currently not known, this is unlikely. If the farm did breed them, then they should inform the British Natural History Museum, which keeps an up to date record of all known hostplants for Lepidoptera. I somehow doubt whether they will recieve such information.

Secondly, he states that the specimens were killed at the end of their natural lives. Anyone who knows anything about butterflies will immediately see that this can not be true. Butterflies naturally gat scratches and cuts on their wings. Pristine specimens as shown in the piece can only be one or two days old at the most.

I also note that the are a large number of FEMALE Delias isse specimens. These are pristine, and therefore will not have had the chance to breed.

As a friend of mine said, if they were fluffy kittens, there would have been a huge furore. Butterflies are, apparantly, expendable.

The fact that the 'Artist' is known is completely irrelevent. The fact stands that this is an immoral and irresponsible piece which has put Singapore and its claim to be a responsible conservation minded country in a very bad light.

loboclerk
09-Apr-2010, 10:49 PM
Apologies if this is off-topic, but it reminded me of products that farmed butterflies of their wings. Some also stated that they were from naturally expired butterflies but after some months of shooting butterflies, I know that its not possible for the wings to appear so pristine if they did expire naturally.

An example...
http://www.etsy.com/shop/mybugs

Peacock Royal
09-Apr-2010, 10:59 PM
I wonder if the Museum Director has read the 30 odd responses at
http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100407-0000106/Work-of-art-or-act-of-cruelty? ?
Perhaps these comments should find their way to a more prominent place.

Commander
09-Apr-2010, 11:23 PM
Apologies if this is off-topic, but it reminded me of products that farmed butterflies of their wings. Some also stated that they were from naturally expired butterflies but after some months of shooting butterflies, I know that its not possible for the wings to appear so pristine if they did expire naturally.

An example...
http://www.etsy.com/shop/mybugs

That's what many of these suppliers always tell their laymen customers. So the people buy their products based on a "clear conscience" that they are not contributing to any unintentional deaths. However, unfortunately, the seller profits out of such gullible people by telling lies.

Silverstreak
10-Apr-2010, 01:28 AM
I wonder if the Museum Director has read the 30 odd responses at
http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100407-0000106/Work-of-art-or-act-of-cruelty? ?
Perhaps these comments should find their way to a more prominent place.

Any one volunteer to copy and send to him or paste them outside the Museum???:bsmile: :bsmile:

Actually the director is just the man-on-the-spot, he represent ""the Museum"" in expressing the stand of the Museum's board on subject matter.

Commander
10-Apr-2010, 10:11 AM
Any one volunteer to copy and send to him or paste them outside the Museum???:bsmile: :bsmile:

:sweat: We all better now owe Sunny any money. Otherwise sure to kena O$P$ outside our front doors. :bsmile:

butterfly_effect
10-Apr-2010, 02:57 PM
Those responses on todayonline are actually very precious. There are undeniable proof of the changing mindset of singaporeans and an important evolution in our society. I'll save a copy of the responses on my harddisk. But there must be a better way of ensuring that those responses can still be accessed by the public even after Todayonline removes the article and responses.

But is there any way to do this without flouting copyright laws?

Silverstreak
10-Apr-2010, 03:27 PM
There are two parts:

What is published by the paper on the subject is copyrighted , when quoting due credit will have to be given. Most papers' stand on quoting their news is that they should be acknowledged as the source of the news.

Whether permission is require to quote their reports , this can be easily ascertain with a query to Today( Mediacorp)

Comments expressed in the feedbak, Today does not owe them , they belongs to the originators. These are opinions expressed by individuals openly , intended for public consumption and transmission . When quoting these opinions with the writers nicks there in, Today need to be acknowleged as the source at which these opinions were expressed.

atronox
11-Apr-2010, 03:28 AM
Just saw the vid and i thought the second visitor's comment was frickin' stupid; he says it's ok coz they're already dead before they're pinned.
He contradicted himself on national tv.:bsmile:

Silverstreak
19-Apr-2010, 02:43 PM
Just in case you are blur blur...........;P

""Requiem for the Butterflies""
(http://butterflycircle.blogspot.com/)

The rebuttal to what the artist and Director of SAM claimed.

And How Far we took it to, during the controversy.

Your directing attention to friends on above article will be certainly much appreciate by them.