PDA

View Full Version : Something new

Painted Jezebel
06-Apr-2010, 10:33 PM
It is always a pleasant surprise to add a new species to my Koh Samui list. It is even better when it involves no effort on my behalf.

This flew into my house this evening. I originaly thought that it was Bibasis sena, but species No. 318 is actualy Hasora proxissima siamica.:gbounce: Not pristine, and an unattractive background, but I can't afford to be fussy!

Sky Blue
07-Apr-2010, 08:38 AM
Congrats Les. At a glance, it really looks like Bibasis sena.

Painted Jezebel
07-Apr-2010, 09:36 AM
Congrats Les. At a glance, it really looks like Bibasis sena.

Thanks.

However, now I have set the Voucher specimen, and had a look at the upperside, I am very confident that I got the ID wrong. If I am right, then it is something much more exciting! I have to wait for the setting to complete, and will confirm later.

However, in the meantime, if anyone would like to hazard a guess as to its correct ID, please have a go.

Great Mormon
07-Apr-2010, 09:49 AM
Congrads Les, good luck with the specimen, hope it is something new for you :cheers:

Painted Jezebel
07-Apr-2010, 09:56 AM
Congrads Les, good luck with the specimen, hope it is something new for you :cheers:

Thanks, Ant. As a teaser, I will say that it is definitely something new for me (though my list is back down to 317), and I am 99% sure, that it is something new to all members of BC, including SK, even though it has been found in Malaysia before.

jamesf
07-Apr-2010, 09:57 AM
Looks like Bibasis sena at a glance, without the orange edge.

Congratulation :cheers:

James

Silverstreak
07-Apr-2010, 11:02 PM
B. sena uniformis ;P

Painted Jezebel
08-Apr-2010, 08:42 AM
B. sena uniformis ;P

Sorry, Sunny. Wrong for a change! I know that SK has seen that!
:grin2:

Painted Jezebel
09-Apr-2010, 02:18 PM
No further guesses, so I will put you out of your misery!

The answer is Hasora mavis, of which there has only been one previous record from Thailand in 1991, and is very rare in Malaysia (C&P4 page 336, and Ek-Amnuay page 738).

Silverstreak
09-Apr-2010, 03:25 PM
Congrats Les!!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Banded Yeoman
09-Apr-2010, 04:13 PM
Yay!!!!! Congrats!:cheers: :cheers:

Great Mormon
09-Apr-2010, 04:36 PM
Congrads on the rare find les! :cheers:
Perhaps you will see more of this species in your house and garden in the future :)

butterfly_effect
09-Apr-2010, 06:04 PM
yay les! :)

Painted Jezebel
09-Apr-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks all. This Island is continuing to provide surprises, although the only previous specimen of this species from Thailand was found here, hence no addition to the Island checklist. I honestly never expected to find it.

Commander
09-Apr-2010, 07:19 PM
Congrats on your find. :cheers: Yes, you're right in saying that I've never encountered this species before as they would normally be flying at turbo speed in the forests.

Imagine if you had discovered the early stages of this species as well! Now that would be a first in terms of scientific discovery.

Silverstreak
09-Apr-2010, 07:43 PM
Imagine if you had discovered the early stages of this species as well! Now that would be a first in terms of scientific discovery.

Les,

Go for it !!!

Bring a picnic basket and your ration of beer to sit it out..........:bsmile:

Worst come to worst shoot some nite butterflies that Khew surely does'nt have .....ops I am assumming!!;P

Painted Jezebel
09-Apr-2010, 07:43 PM
Congrats on your find. :cheers: Yes, you're right in saying that I've never encountered this species before as they would normally be flying at turbo speed in the forests.

Thanks SK. I've got one up on you, AT LAST!:blah: :grin2: :grin2: Every time I've found something rare that is also found in Malaysia, you have always seen it before:cry: .

Bearing in mind where I live, I'm not sure that this species is only a forest one. There is no natural forest near where I live, only badly disturbed and secondary woodland.

Painted Jezebel
09-Apr-2010, 07:47 PM
Les,

Go for it !!!

Bring a picnic basket and your ration of beer to sit it out..........:bsmile:

Er! Why do I need a picnic basket, when it flew into my house?:hmmm:

Glorious Begum
10-Apr-2010, 11:06 AM
Congrats to you Les. I am very much like to see one here. :cheers:

philiplo
10-Apr-2010, 08:10 PM
Congratulation on your great find! :cheers: :cheers:
Just wander what is the gender of the specimen? It seems no male is known outside the Philippines.

Painted Jezebel
11-Apr-2010, 08:50 AM
Congratulation on your great find! :cheers: :cheers:
Just wander what is the gender of the specimen? It seems no male is known outside the Philippines.

Hi Philip, it is a female, so we are STILL to find a male on the peninsular.:thumbsdow Have you seen a Philippine male? If so, how does it differ from the female?

PS Did you ever send me that book?:)

philiplo
12-Apr-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi Philip, it is a female, so we are STILL to find a male on the peninsular.:thumbsdow Have you seen a Philippine male? If so, how does it differ from the female?

PS Did you ever send me that book?:)

As a general rule of Hasora, male H. mavis lacks of white hyaline spot on forewing. There are illustrations of Philippine materials on De Jong and Treadaways' book.

Yes, I expect it will reach you soon. :grin2:

Painted Jezebel
13-Apr-2010, 10:19 AM
As a general rule of Hasora, male H. mavis lacks of white hyaline spot on forewing. There are illustrations of Philippine materials on De Jong and Treadaways' book.

Yes, I expect it will reach you soon. :grin2:

Thanks for the info, Philip.