View Full Version : UFO Lycaenid for ID

Silverstreak
25-Feb-2010, 11:32 AM
Shot this yesterday. While we try our best to narrow it down . Perhaps you might want to give your opinion.

Please explain why you think so and your reference for your opinion , no wild guesses please.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/Schir/1DMK3----5314---24_02_2010.jpg

:cheers:

atronox
25-Feb-2010, 07:13 PM
The closest i can come up with is a worn silver royal as it obviously lacks any striae on the forewing verso (eliminating Tajuria spp.)
However, i also have my doubts as the underside is not as metallic as it shld be, otherwise, most other characters are pretty consistent with A. blanka.
Otherwise i would think it's a worn out T. mantra.

Silverstreak
25-Feb-2010, 07:57 PM
Aaron,

Thank you for the input , in fact Les also think that it might be an Ancema blanka.:) I've ruled out T mantra mantra , T dominus dominus and Pratapa deva relata, as the tornal patch does not match these BFs.

The unique brown upper antannae and to some extend the tornal patch and eye color match the Ancema in our checklist (http://butterflycircle.com/checklist2/index.php?page=butt_details&butt_id=361) which I believe is a male and has silver color underside.

This UFO could be a female which has a light brown color base as depicted in Lycaenidae of the Phillipines by Yusuke Takanami & Yasuo Seki. So it is possible that this is a female Ancema blanka.

Also would like you to comment with reference space 1 b as arrowed and refer C&P4 Pg 311 Key for seperation of Tajuria Species describing Tajuria inexpectata

20 underside end-cell bar absent; hindwing orange areas in space 1a and 2 linked by an orange bar across space 1b.

atronox
25-Feb-2010, 08:12 PM
Thx Sunny, i think C&P4 may have hinted that the female is paler on the underside.
As for inexpectata, the striae on the hindwing verso surprisingly match more closely than A. blanka, which is a little dislocated in the checklist photos. There's still a slight trace of striae on the forewing verso though, and C&P4 has no records of it from sg.

Silverstreak
26-Feb-2010, 12:09 AM
Reviewing all the shots taken of this UFO I found a shot of the other side of the BF.:grin2:

It showsthe striae on the forewing more visibly, also the broken hindwing reveal the blues of the top side of the opposite hindwing.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/Schir/1DMK3----5301---24_02_2010.jpg

Silverstreak
27-Feb-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks Aaron for the interest.:)

Shop closed , shots chuck into UFO bin.

Silverstreak
21-Oct-2011, 09:56 PM
Dr. Seow ,

Digging up this old thread ....

Would you care to comment and give you expert inputs??

Cheers!

Commander
22-Oct-2011, 01:01 PM
Thread re-opened.

Sure looks like a female Ancema blanka after looking thru' a few references. Only the male has that silverish sheen on the underside. The females do not. :thinking:

Psyche
22-Oct-2011, 05:33 PM
Thread re-opened.

Sure looks like a female Ancema blanka after looking thru' a few references. Only the male has that silverish sheen on the underside. The females do not. :thinking:

It is actually a perfect match in Fleming's book.
I am just wondering whether there are one or 2 individuals here, since the 2nd pic shows 4 visible tails.

TL Seow:cheers:

Silverstreak
22-Oct-2011, 05:54 PM
Dr. Seow ,

Both pictures belong to the same individual.

I was tracking it flitting from leaf to leaf at eye level.

Cheers!