PDA

View Full Version : Butts from Nakhon Si Thammarat

Painted Jezebel
13-Feb-2010, 04:17 PM
After and 8 day trip going round the outskirts of Khao Luang and Yong Sai National Parks, I managed to find a few interesting species.

Starting with the Hesperidae:
1) To celebrate the CNY and The Year of the Tiger, the first species is Ochus subvittatus subvittatus (The Tiger Hopper). All my books state that this is a purely northen Thai species, so what it was doing down South, I have no idea!
2) Pseudocoladenia dan dhyana (Fulvous Pied Flat)
3&4) Lotongus calathus calathus (White Tipped Palmer)
5&6) Notacrypta clavata clavata ( Clavate Banded Demon?)

Great Mormon
13-Feb-2010, 04:20 PM
wonderful collection of skippers les!
Must be a very fruitful trip.

Happy New Year!

Painted Jezebel
13-Feb-2010, 04:23 PM
Papilionidae and Pieridae

1) Atrophaneura neptunus manasukkiti (Yellow Clubtail)
2) Atrophaneura coon doubledayi (Common Clubtail)
3) Appias nero figulina (Orange Albatross)

Painted Jezebel
13-Feb-2010, 04:31 PM
Nymphalidae _ Danainae and Satyrinae

1&2) Parantica aspasia aspasia (Yellow Glassy Tiger)
3&4) Parantica melaneus planiston (Chocolate Tiger) - Only upperside shot I managed!
5) Elymnias malelas ivena (Spotted Palmfly) - Upperside is an excellent mimic of the Striped Blue Crow.

Painted Jezebel
13-Feb-2010, 04:40 PM
Nymphalinae

1&2) Prothoe franck uniformis (Blue Begum)
3&4) Tanaecia flora andersonii (Blue Count) - Male & Female
5) Cyrestis nivea nivalis (Straight-lined Map)

Painted Jezebel
13-Feb-2010, 04:48 PM
Lycaenidae

1&2) Drina donina usira (Brown Yam) - Upperside was a 'Flash' response.
3) Arhopala perimuta regina (Yellow-disc Oakblue)
4,5&6) Three Arhopala species which I can not ID with certainty. Any help would be appreciated.

Many more species were seen, but the photos are barely recognisable!:thumbsdow

Commander
13-Feb-2010, 05:05 PM
Great stuff, Les. You must've enjoyed yourself immensely. :cheers: So many species! Some old friends that I used to see back in the northern part of West Malaysia.

Silverstreak
13-Feb-2010, 05:20 PM
Wow! So many varieties.

Pity I was not into butts for the many moons spent in Thailand!

Les, Thanks for sharing!

butterfly_effect
13-Feb-2010, 05:38 PM
Hey Les,

The clubtails are gorgeous! :)

Painted Jezebel
17-Feb-2010, 07:51 PM
A quick update. The Arhopala perimuta regina (Yellow-disc Oakblue) is now upgraded to a fully fledged member of the Koh Samui fauna.:redbounce A single specimen was seen today in the usual place, Hin Lad Waterfall. A very rare +1, these days, for Samui, and a very nice and unexpected start to the new year (Chinese style!). I hope the Thai New Year (April 13th) is just as generous to me!:grin2:

Commander
17-Feb-2010, 08:45 PM
Congrats, Les. :cheers: What's the species count for Samui now?

Painted Jezebel
18-Feb-2010, 07:55 AM
Thanks, SK. The 'Official' number is now 317.

This is the number of species for which I have proof of existence, with either voucher specimen, or clearly identifiable photo. I have been pruning down the numbers in preparation for sending the paper off for peer reading, as it appears I may have been a little over enthusuastic when I first arrived in the tropics (e.g. My sightings of Euploea rhadamanthus turned out to be a female Courtesan. At least, I have failed to get any proof of the presence of the species here, though it is to be found on the mainland near here.) Also, while I know I have seen certain species here, proof has so far eluded me, and can not be included in the official list! My file of UFOs is also quite extensive.

Great Mormon
18-Feb-2010, 11:59 AM
Les, wow, thats already more species of butterflies than what we have down here in Singapore. We will try to catch up!!!