PDA

View Full Version : Common Duffer

Silverstreak
10-Feb-2010, 06:13 PM
Always the case ............after you claimed a +1 , invariably you spot more of them.:omg:

Spotted a colony of 3-4 individual , at a different locality from the first one shot. .... quite a nitemare trying to track them in the bamboo groove......

I believe their host is the bamboo plant, was observing them for close to 2 hours but butterfly fairy was having her beauty sleep ....none of them were ovipositing!:bsmile:

The species of bamboo, where they hang around are different from the normal bamboo species we often seen. This species has very broad and long leaves ( See pic ). Likely this is the species of bamboo that provide leaves for the wrapping of chinese dumpling ( Bah Chang ).

Let them rest for Chinese New Year before I go and terrorize them again .;P

The plastic bottle is 1 liter in size..

Commander
10-Feb-2010, 06:20 PM
Yup. Same species of bamboo as the one that SC bred from the ER trip some time back, if I remember correctly.

Great Mormon
10-Feb-2010, 11:29 PM
Nice find Sunny! :thumbsup:

EarlyStages
13-Feb-2010, 01:57 PM
Ah yes, the Common Duffer (Discophora sondaica) . . . a frequent companion of mine during our most recent family visit to northern Taiwan, where the butterfly is now very common, having been discovered there (progeny of probable stowaway) only 12 years ago. If its numbers are sufficient – adults can be easily overlooked – young caterpillars are not difficult to locate, so keep an eye out for this species' eggs (http://nc.kl.edu.tw/bbs/showpost.php?p=204293&postcount=1), gregarious earlier instars (http://nc.kl.edu.tw/bbs/showpost.php?p=100080&postcount=38), and mature larvae (http://nc.kl.edu.tw/bbs/showpost.php?p=135476&postcount=21). Older cats hide inside hostplant leaves silked together, with the green, sometimes pinkish, pointed pupae being extremely hard to find amongst the bamboo. Good luck!

Keith

Painted Jezebel
13-Feb-2010, 04:07 PM
I seem to recall I posted a photo of the pupa a while back. A search should locate it.

Silverstreak
14-Feb-2010, 02:39 AM
Thanks Keith and Les for the additional inputs and references!:)

Silverstreak
16-Feb-2010, 07:55 PM
Went Duffer Chasing again.

Record shot of one of them...

Ellen and Nelson should have better shots and congrates on the rare +1.

Banded Yeoman
16-Feb-2010, 08:58 PM
Oi, heavily cropped. The Duffer looks so yellow. How about changing yer white balance and set yer flash compensation lower...:hmmm:

Silverstreak
16-Feb-2010, 09:33 PM
Oi, heavily cropped. The Duffer looks so yellow. How about changing yer white balance and set yer flash compensation lower...:hmmm:

Young Man,

This is the sighting and record thread and What is wrong with heavily cropped record shot?

Armchair critiques are dime a dozen, just open your mouth is all it takes to be one.

As we do not know the situation and predicament when the photo was taken.
I for one would not comment on a shot till I can get a better shot than the one posted.

Even then, one might not be fully qualified to advise. Like in this case it is a brilliance and saturation photoshop action that causes it and not what our "" little expert"" claimed it to be on white balance or flash control.

My record shots are normally process thru Photoshop "actions". The action items on vibrance and saturation did not work well on this shot. Shot has been reworked manually.

Silverstreak
16-Feb-2010, 09:35 PM
Here is a shot of a female revealing the seldom seen upper of this species.

butterfly_effect
16-Feb-2010, 09:59 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2726/4362477394_6a6f79ea1f.jpg

Mine... Sorry, ride on your thread. :) Not that much better but yes, I am satisfied. Can't ask for more after already having people remove dead bamboo for me.. haha! Thanks Unker Sunny for pointing out the heavily camouflauged butterfly.

bluefin
16-Feb-2010, 10:23 PM
Here's mine after some rotation. Sunny, Ellen, thanks for the great company and enjoyable outing.

Pardon me for the large image.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2762/4362507770_b9974a092d_b.jpg

Blue Nawab
16-Feb-2010, 10:35 PM
Wow, the duffer is really well-camouflaged and difficult to spot. :what:
Nice shots from all of you...:cheers:

Silverstreak
16-Feb-2010, 10:38 PM
Ellen ,

A +1 is still a +1 , I had mine and had a keeper, so both of you have priority today.

Nelson ,

That is as good a shot anyone can get under those condition.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Great Mormon
17-Feb-2010, 12:16 AM
Great +1s for you guys! congrads!!!!!
And both are decent shots too!

Commander
17-Feb-2010, 12:24 AM
And a pristine specimen too. :thumbsup:

I'm sure we'll have a life history documentation soon. Right, Horace? :grin2:

horace2264
17-Feb-2010, 12:37 AM
I'm sure we'll have a life history documentation soon. Right, Horace? :grin2:
:hmmm: Why? Did anyone find any egg or cat?

Commander
17-Feb-2010, 12:58 AM
:hmmm: Why? Did anyone find any egg or cat?

Not yet... but you will. :bsmile:

horace2264
17-Feb-2010, 01:03 AM
Not yet... but you will. :bsmile:
Location? I only know about the one at BTNR. :thinking:

Silverstreak
17-Feb-2010, 02:20 AM
Horace

I tried to look for eggs and cats( while Nelson was looking for cobras):grin2: , but unable to find any on those leaves that are within reach. This cluster is old growth and tall, it is challenging finding leaves that are within reach.

It is somewhere deep in the forest. Very difficult to give direction as it is quite far in and thru some seldom used tracks, need to guide you there .

I doubt Ellen and Nelson can retrace the route to bring you there either.:bsmile: They just ""mooon- cha- cha "" followed me bashing on and off track chasing XXL Red Eyes skippers in the thick undergrowth.......:thinking: they must had doubts during the bash on whether I know where we were ;P

I will be away for next two days and busy over the weekend .Perhaps next week can bring you in.

:cheers:

horace2264
17-Feb-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks, Sunny for the location info. :)
No problem, there is no rush on my part.
I will wait till it is convenient for you to guide me there. :)

butterfly_effect
17-Feb-2010, 05:00 PM
i would like to go there again if u dont mind me joining u all. I still have not gotten the xxl awlets:)