PDA

View Full Version : Is this ypthima fasciata torone?

Banded Yeoman
07-Feb-2010, 07:52 PM
Found this ypthima at mount faber. Wondering if it is a fasciata torone.:hmmm:

butterfly_effect
07-Feb-2010, 10:06 PM
Yo! man... it looks like a common 5 ring when comparing the the location and number of rings... there's 5 rings... the last two on the bottom of the wing is considered as one. :)

butterfly_effect
08-Feb-2010, 07:37 AM
paiseh... There are 6 rings (sorry i cock eye) :) ... But still a 5 ring if u look carefully at the position n size of the rings on the hindwing. :) extra accessory/ring on there butterflies are possible. Kekeke... A 6-ring common 5 ring. Butterfly want extra decoration!

Great Mormon
08-Feb-2010, 11:07 AM
This one looks more like a common 5 ring, if you compare the field shots in the checklist.

The typical yellow-ringed black ocelli is a distinguishing feature of the various species in the Ypthima family. The pair of rings at the tornus of the hindwing is counted as one. The total number of the rings counted thus give this species its common name.

Banded Yeoman
08-Feb-2010, 04:05 PM
Oh. I thought it was fasciata torone as the first two spots on the hindwing are of different size, Like the fasciata, as the five ring has them the same. If it is, the small spot is not an aberration.:hmmm:

Commander
08-Feb-2010, 04:12 PM
Read the first paragraph of my earlier thread (http://www.butterflycircle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9423), extracted from C&P4. If you don't have this book yet, I suggest you get your parents to buy you a copy. Though written some time back, it is still the most definitive work for students of butterflies in this region. I believe it's still available at Nature's Niche (now located at Orchidville at Mandai Road) for about $80.

In any case, you are quite lucky to have spotted this aberrant variant with the extra spots of the Common Five Ring.

Banded Yeoman
08-Feb-2010, 04:18 PM
So it is a five ring with an aberration.:) Then why are the first two spots different size?:hmmm:

Commander
08-Feb-2010, 04:33 PM
Do you have a copy of C&P4? :)

Banded Yeoman
08-Feb-2010, 07:14 PM
The book? Err, no.

Great Mormon
08-Feb-2010, 08:40 PM
Jonathan, it would be a great start to "butterflying" if you could get mummy and daddy to get a copy of the C&P4. There are detailed plates of the butterflies as well as detailed description for all the butterflies featured.

We often refer it as the butterfly bible amongst butterfly enthusiasts.
:cheers:

Banded Yeoman
08-Feb-2010, 09:33 PM
Okay, but how much does it cost? They don't like to buy ex. books.

Commander
08-Feb-2010, 10:29 PM
Read the earlier posts in this thread carefully, young man.

atronox
09-Feb-2010, 12:52 AM
By right, if the first 3 ocelli are more widely spaced and more uniform in size, then it shld be a fasciata.

butterfly_effect
09-Feb-2010, 07:40 AM
yo!-man, if ur parents or friends are heading up to the malaysian nature society in kl, u can get the book for a cool 40sgd instead of 80plus sgd here thereabouts:)

Banded Yeoman
09-Feb-2010, 03:45 PM
Got it.