View Full Version : Discovery of the Yellow Palm Dart

Commander
23-Jan-2010, 10:35 PM
Finally compiled all the notes and references to complete the blog article.

An Australian Skipperoo Comes to Town (http://butterflycircle.blogspot.com/2010/01/aussie-skipperoo-comes-to-town.html)

It was actually observed by an Australian butterfly expert who was holidaying in Singapore in 1999! He photographed a specimen at Fort Canning Hill and captured it to check. But he let it go after that so he didn't have a specimen for reference.

After so many years and fortunate 'accidents', we can finally confirm that Cephrenes trichopepla is a permanent resident in Singapore and Malaysia. Thanks to everyone in BC who contributed to this find. :cheers:

Silverstreak
23-Jan-2010, 11:00 PM
:cheers: :cheergal: :cheers::cheergal: :cheers:

horace2264
23-Jan-2010, 11:03 PM
Finally added to the checklist too. :cheers:

Khew, may be you should also mention in the same blog article that this species is now officially added to the checklist.

Commander
23-Jan-2010, 11:12 PM
Finally added to the checklist too. :cheers:

Khew, may be you should also mention in the same blog article that this species is now officially added to the checklist.

Yes, actually I did, in the 2nd last para, that it was added to the Singapore and Malaysian checklists. :)

Silverstreak
23-Jan-2010, 11:18 PM
He did....

So, as we wish "G'day, mate" to this Australian "foreign talent" and new addition to the Singapore (and Malaysian) checklists - the Yellow Palm Dart, we also hope to one day see another similar Australian species the Orange Palm Dart (Cephrenes augiades) reaching the shores of Singapore.

horace2264
23-Jan-2010, 11:23 PM
Paiseh. :embrass: Missed that phrase near the end of the article.
So it is species 291.

horace2264
23-Jan-2010, 11:24 PM
Khew, just for curiosity, can we see that pic taken by the Aussie expert in 1999?

Commander
23-Jan-2010, 11:25 PM
Yup. #291. And 3 more to compile and blog in future articles. :)

Still no confirmation of the Abisara from Dr Kirton though. I think it's mainly because the lack of a reference for the genitalia of that species.

Hope that you or Sunny can discover the early stages to compare with the other lookalikes in future. :cheers:

Commander
23-Jan-2010, 11:27 PM
Khew, just for curiosity, can we see that pic taken by the Aussie expert in 1999?

Let me go look for it. I believe it got lost with one of my earlier hard disk crashes in 2004. It was actually a video capture of what he shot, so quite blur. But he was focusing on the tornal black spot, which all the other local species don't have.

Perhaps I can email him again to send me a copy, if he still has it.

horace2264
23-Jan-2010, 11:27 PM
Hope that you or Sunny can discover the early stages to compare with the other lookalikes in future. :cheers:
It will be just a matter of time this happens. :)

horace2264
23-Jan-2010, 11:30 PM
Let me go look for it. I believe it got lost with one of my earlier hard disk crashes in 2004. It was actually a video capture of what he shot, so quite blur. But he was focusing on the tornal black spot, which all the other local species don't have.

Perhaps I can email him again to send me a copy, if he still has it.
Don't worry about it if it is too much trouble to dig out that pic/video. :)

Peacock Royal
23-Jan-2010, 11:36 PM
Well done guys. :gbounce:

Glorious Begum
24-Jan-2010, 11:01 AM
Congrats to everyone here. Yum Seng....... :cheers:

Banded Yeoman
24-Jan-2010, 11:40 AM
So glad there's a new butt around. Congrats!:yahoo:

cheers:read:
Jonathan

Wanderer
24-Jan-2010, 10:59 PM
great job, everyone!

:cheers:

atronox
27-Jan-2010, 07:32 PM
:gbounce: :jumjoy: :redbounce
Hopefully we'll have more discoveries and rediscoveries like this in the future:D