PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Butterfly

Commander
02-Jan-2010, 01:27 AM
Male and female shots of the Julia Heliconian (Dryas iulia) that we recently sighted at Langkawi.

The flight of the butt is interesting, as it seems to move its wingtips rapidly as it flutters around. It's skittish, and always on the move. ;P Also didn't help that I was travelling light and was using my slower D80 and so was 'handicapped' at not being able to :shoot1: the butt as it moved around.

Wanderer
02-Jan-2010, 01:29 AM
great shots! where did u nail them?

Commander
02-Jan-2010, 01:31 AM
Read the forthcoming Blog article. Will be published tomorrow. :)

Wanderer
02-Jan-2010, 01:35 AM
cool. btw, it seems to be licking the leaf for food?

The Plane
02-Jan-2010, 09:10 AM
Nice capture :thumbsup: their wings are really long - beautiful butt.:)

Painted Jezebel
02-Jan-2010, 09:18 AM
Great shots, SK, particularly of the undersides, which I have always found very difficult for this species. Have you forwarded them to Laurence? I have sent him my shots from Samui in the hope that he can help in the correct ssp. ID, and if you have, we should be able to ascertain whether we have the same escapee subspecies in Malaysia and Thailand.

Peacock Royal
02-Jan-2010, 10:06 AM
Wow, a "Grand Slam" shot of this "Helicopter butterfly". :cheers:

Great Mormon
02-Jan-2010, 10:55 AM
wow, you've nailed this butterfly at all angles! even whilst they are getting it on! :thumbsup:

I wouldnt know that this was shot with ur d80, the all look very decent to me.

Will be looking forward to the blog article uncle khew!

Silverstreak
02-Jan-2010, 12:11 PM
Wah! Pristine copies!

:thinking: perch varies .... Phuket?:)

Saw two on Johore side of the straits in 15 Nov 09 (http://www.butterflycircle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9149), unfortunately, camera not with me, no photographic evidence.

:cheers:

henrykoh
02-Jan-2010, 12:25 PM
What can I say? Excellent shots and equally interesting butt.

Commander
02-Jan-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys. These were shot at the same place where I first encountered them in 1997 - Phuket Butterfly Garden. :)

Great shots, SK, particularly of the undersides, which I have always found very difficult for this species. Have you forwarded them to Laurence? I have sent him my shots from Samui in the hope that he can help in the correct ssp. ID, and if you have, we should be able to ascertain whether we have the same escapee subspecies in Malaysia and Thailand.

Yes, will send the shots to him. But until we have voucher specimens from Malaysia (or Singapore), it's hard to confirm that this is the species that has made its appearance down south.

cool. btw, it seems to be licking the leaf for food?

Looks like it. That was the only thing that made it stop more often. Otherwise it's a difficult butt to shoot. :mad2:

Bingo!

Here's the Blog article (http://butterflycircle.blogspot.com/2010/01/paradisical-phuket.html).

Wanderer
02-Jan-2010, 03:29 PM
Wah! Pristine copies!

Saw two on Johore side of the straits in 15 Nov 09 (http://www.butterflycircle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9149), unfortunately, camera not with me, no photographic evidence.

:cheers:

1.5 mth, could have made the crossing already. any luck from our observation posts in the north?

Elbowed Pierrot
03-Jan-2010, 01:20 PM
very good life, got woke up msg on morning of new year day from khew in Phuket

Banded Yeoman
29-Jan-2010, 08:49 PM
cool. btw, it seems to be licking the leaf for food?Maybe the butt is dry puddling.:confused: