PDA

View Full Version : New Research Results

EarlyStages
05-Dec-2009, 05:45 PM
A just-published DNA study . . .

Out-of-Africa again: A phylogenetic hypothesis of the genus Charaxes (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae) based on five gene regions (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WNH-4WNXTYF-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=85cd8d0ef8c16b19b5e6b6e63f2964e5)*

. . . reveals that Polyura butterflies, 20+ species of Oriental/Australasian Nawabs (the Blue Nawab was among those examined), are in fact more properly classified in the genus Charaxes. Thus, for those who use scientific names, be prepared for Charaxes hebe and Charaxes schreiber, with Charaxes solon no longer "the sole representative in Singapore".

Keith

* Please send a PM if you would like a free copy of the PDF.

Commander
05-Dec-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the update, Keith.

Painted Jezebel
06-Dec-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks, Keith. To get thing straight in my mind (which takes a lot of doing!:) ), should I rename my sole Polyura species Charaxes athamas athamas or Charaxes (Polyura) athamas athamas?

Sky Blue
06-Dec-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks Keith for sharing.

Below portion seems interesting, the current global warming, could be another opportunity for diversifications for those species that can adapt :thinking:

"Most of the major diversifications within the genus occurred between the late Oligocene and Miocene when the global climates were putatively undergoing drastic fluctuations."

EarlyStages
06-Dec-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks, Keith. To get thing straight in my mind (which takes a lot of doing!:) ), should I rename my sole Polyura species Charaxes athamas athamas or Charaxes (Polyura) athamas athamas?

I'd wait until the proverbial dust settles, Les, for as the authors point out, their findings are "bound to cause consternation among lepidopterists, since both genera [Polyura and Euxanthe, the other taxon synonymized] have a long history of use". Unless refuted, this new taxonomy will work its way into the popular literature in due course, with Polyura a valid subgenus for those preferring such nomenclature.

Keith