PDA

View Full Version : Malay Tailed Judy

jamesf
25-Oct-2009, 12:26 AM
Went to MacRitchie this morning and saw this MTJ flitting among leaves. Have encountered another MTJ around the same area few months back. Guess the host plants are near by.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_hoRq1rhoY5Y/SuMb2KD2OMI/AAAAAAAACiE/4k9Ca5MZCfY/s800/MTJudy.jpg

:cheers:

Blue Nawab
25-Oct-2009, 12:28 AM
Wow, that's pretty...which trail did you take?

jamesf
25-Oct-2009, 12:53 AM
Wow, that's pretty...which trail did you take?

Thanks. It is also a very active butterfly.

Not sure about the trail name, but it is on the way to the Canopy Walk.

Archduke
25-Oct-2009, 01:23 AM
very pristine copy.
i notice that its "licking" the plant its on the same way the harlequins do it too.

jamesf
26-Oct-2009, 10:37 AM
very pristine copy.
i notice that its "licking" the plant its on the same way the harlequins do it too.

Could be a common habit of the Riodinidae. Unfortunately, have yet to spot a Harlequin :-(, although I have few lucky encounters with its lesser cousins.

Silverstreak
26-Oct-2009, 12:54 PM
All the Abisara species exhibit this rather unique feeding pattern in using the bent of the proboscis to feed on the surface of leaves.

This is also true on the Paralaxita species like the Lesser Harlequin , The Malay Red Harlequin, The Common Harlequin and the Banded Red Harlequin that I have observed at Selai Endau Rompin.

jamesf
27-Oct-2009, 01:36 PM
All the Abisara species exhibit this rather unique feeding pattern in using the bent of the proboscis to feed on the surface of leaves.

This is also true on the Paralaxita species like the Lesser Harlequin , The Malay Red Harlequin, The Common Harlequin and the Banded Red Harlequin that I have observed at Selai Endau Rompin.

Thanks Sunny for sharing these interesting observation of various Paralaxita. :thumbsup:

Banded Yeoman
31-Jan-2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks Sunny for sharing these interesting observation of various Paralaxita. :thumbsup:

But y do they do this dry puddling? Whats the use?:hmmm:

jamesf
31-Jan-2010, 09:13 PM
But y do they do this dry puddling? Whats the use?:hmmm:

Feeding I guess ;P

James

Banded Yeoman
01-Feb-2010, 09:05 PM
Feeding I guess ;P

James

Ahh, but the question is what is it feeding on. Dust?:hmmm:

Sky Blue
01-Feb-2010, 10:28 PM
check out this old discussion (http://www.butterflycircle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6771&highlight=aphid&page=15) with translation