View Full Version : During the bad weather

Painted Jezebel
08-Oct-2009, 10:30 AM
The last couple of months have been awful, weatherwise, and I have not been able to take any photos worthy of this site. However, during the practically only decent day of the last month, I did find two new species for the Island, Burara (Bibasis) oedipodea oedipodea and Coladenia laxni sobrina.

However, I have not been idle, and have been going through my Nymphalid UFOs. It has been worthwhile, as I think that I have found a further couple of new ones.

1) Tanaecia aruna aruna - note the two additional spots in spaces 2 and 3 of the forewing.
2) Tanaecia palguna consanguinea.

If anyones disagrees, please advise, as I am preparing my paper for review before publication at the present time.

The discovery of the T. pelea lookalikes, make me think that some of you should go through your photos for any possible related species, just in case.

Now for the Lycaenid and Hesperid UFOs!!!!!!:sweat:

Commander
08-Oct-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the tip, Les.

I've also been wondering at some of my shots of the female Malay Baron. There are cases when the wing shape is different, as are some of the spots. I had put that to variations and aberrations.

Perhaps we should take a closer look at those again.

We have the life history of the Malay Viscount. I wonder if the other two have very different-looking caterpillars. That's where our cat farmers can keep a lookout for... :thinking:

Painted Jezebel
09-Oct-2009, 09:07 AM
Definitely a 'Rainy Day' job. As far as life histories go, I do not think that either species have been recorded yet.

atronox
16-Oct-2009, 01:45 AM
1st one is confirmed but i'm not sure abt the 2nd.:thinking:

Painted Jezebel
16-Oct-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks, Aaron. Actually, it was No.1 that I had doubts about. I am certain about No.2.

atronox
16-Oct-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks, Aaron. Actually, it was No.1 that I had doubts about. I am certain about No.2.
I thought that the 1st one is distinct coz it's the only malayan one that has the white markings divided, unless of course there are other spp there that also have this feature.

Painted Jezebel
17-Oct-2009, 08:57 AM
That is why I suggested the species. However, I would like to get a view of the underside, just to be absolutely certain.