PDA

View Full Version : Butts from Ranong, Thailand

Painted Jezebel
23-Aug-2009, 09:53 AM
Last week, I had to do my 3 monthly VISA run. As a change, I decided to use the Myanmar border croswsing, instead of the usual trip to Malaysia. Ranong is a 'hotspot' for Thai butts, so I had high hopes of seeing many new species. It turned out to be rather disappointing, as I was unable to get inside forests, or up the hills. Also, no-one there had heard of Muang Shone, which is mentioned in Pisuth's book as a favoured spot.

Nevertheless, here are some photos from there, many of which are also to be found in Malaysia, though not in Singapore. The English names are taken from Pisuth's book, and may not be officially recognised.

1&2 - Atrrophaneura coon doubledayi (Common Clubtail)
3 - Elymnias dara daedalion (White-banded Palmfly). The only sighting of this elusive butterfly.
4 - Erites medura russelli (Curved Cyclops)
5 - Laringa castelnaui castelnaui (Blue Dandy)-female. I was desperate to see the goureous blue male, but with no success.

Painted Jezebel
23-Aug-2009, 10:20 AM
6- Yasoda pita dohertyi (Malayan Branded Yamfly)
7- correction- Coladenia agnoides (Scarce Pied Flat)
8- Mooreana trichoneura trichoneura (Yellow Flat)
9- Halpe zola zola (Long-banded Ace)
10-Pithaura marsena (Branded Straw Ace)
11-Koruthaialos sindu sindu (Bright Red Velvet Bob)

Glorious Begum
23-Aug-2009, 10:33 AM
Wow.. not bad as all. I haven't seen the Atrrophaneura coon doubledayi here. :-( Now it is in my wanted list. :cheers:

Painted Jezebel
23-Aug-2009, 10:33 AM
12-Matapa sasivarna (Green-based Redeye). Originally thought this was Matapa cresta, but it turned out to be something even better!
13- Oops, missed this one- (Cirrochroa surya siamensis (Little Yeoman)

Finally, some I am not sure of.
14&15- This very small hesperid could be either Iambix stellifer or Aeromachus dubius imphar (Forest Scrub Hopper). From the size, I am inclined to think the latter.
16&17- Not sure whether this is Drupadia ravindra boisduvalii (northern subspecies of the Common Posy) or Drupadia niasica scudderi (Intermediate Posy)

Great Mormon
23-Aug-2009, 10:35 AM
Nice shot les! Atrrophaneura coon doubledayi looks lovely!

Silverstreak
23-Aug-2009, 04:46 PM
Good collection of uncommon butts !

Thanks for sharing!

:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
25-Aug-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the comments. Had to change the species name of the Coladenia species (I forgot to check the corrections sheets for Pisuth's book!:embrass: )

atronox
30-Aug-2009, 02:45 AM
Some rare skippers there!:what:
As for the Drupadia, it is either niasica or theda as both sexes of ravindra lack the forewing orange band. theda and niasica both have some bluish scaling so it's quite hard to tell them apart.

Painted Jezebel
30-Aug-2009, 09:57 AM
Some rare skippers there!:what:
As for the Drupadia, it is either niasica or theda as both sexes of ravindra lack the forewing orange band. theda and niasica both have some bluish scaling so it's quite hard to tell them apart.

Aaron, please note that the subspecies D. ravindra boisduvalii does have broad orange forewing bands, in both sexes. The southern ssp, D. r. moorei (as found in Malaysia and Singapore, as well as southern peninsular Thailand) indeed does not have these bands.

Yes, the number of interesting skippers were the redeeming factor on this trip.

atronox
02-Sep-2009, 01:24 AM
Aaron, please note that the subspecies D. ravindra boisduvalii does have broad orange forewing bands, in both sexes. The southern ssp, D. r. moorei (as found in Malaysia and Singapore, as well as southern peninsular Thailand) indeed does not have these bands.

Yes, the number of interesting skippers were the redeeming factor on this trip.
Oh, i didn't know of that ssp of the common posy.:embrass:
Is it also normal for the black streaks on the hindwing underside to be filled with white?

Painted Jezebel
04-Sep-2009, 01:04 PM
From what I can see from the few pictures I have seen, the answer is yes, but the markings are not as clear as in D. theda. The reason why I decided not to consider D. theda was the size of all the specimens I saw there. They were too small. I know size can not be used on its own, but my gut feeling, which is surprisingly accurate on most (not all:) ) occasions, is that it is not D. theda renonga. As it stands at the moment, though, it is another UFO!:thumbsdow

If/when I go back to Ranong, I hope I will see a male, which would settle this. The male of D. ravindra boisduvallii is very distinctive (and beautiful).

atronox
06-Sep-2009, 02:13 AM
From what I can see from the few pictures I have seen, the answer is yes, but the markings are not as clear as in D. theda. The reason why I decided not to consider D. theda was the size of all the specimens I saw there. They were too small. I know size can not be used on its own, but my gut feeling, which is surprisingly accurate on most (not all:) ) occasions, is that it is not D. theda renonga. As it stands at the moment, though, it is another UFO!:thumbsdow

If/when I go back to Ranong, I hope I will see a male, which would settle this. The male of D. ravindra boisduvallii is very distinctive (and beautiful).
Thx, Les.
Hope you'll find the male soon.:grin2: