PDA

View Full Version : Danaid Eggfly

Leopard Lacewing
28-Jul-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi all,

While walking along MFP, spotted this Danaid Eggfly resting there. 1 shot and it flew up to the tree.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z307/leopardLacewing/BC_DSC_4462.jpg

Cheers! :cheers:

Commander
28-Jul-2009, 10:26 AM
Hmm... the markings are indeed of H. missippus. It hasn't been seen for a long, long time, since Steven Neo has a female from Mandai.

So well done on the record of this species. :thumbsup: This one's a male, so the upperside is almost indistinguishable from the other two Eggflies - Great and Jacintha.

It's the female that you should be looking out for. It looks just like a Plain Tiger!

From the known habits of these buggers, they tend to hang around a location. So those of you who want to shoot it, go quickly! :gbounce:

butterfly_effect
28-Jul-2009, 10:29 AM
bobbo, sorry i sabo u insisted it was danny eggo. Turns out not so easy to tell. Keke. Sorry for trying to be 'eggspert'. :-) but cool shot anyway. I'd have liked to have shot one.

Commander
28-Jul-2009, 10:30 AM
bobbo, sorry i sabo u insisted it was danny eggo. Turns out not so easy to tell. Keke. Sorry for trying to be 'eggspert'. :-) but cool shot anyway. I'd have liked to have shot one.

:bsmile: Spoke too fast... ;P

Grass Demon
28-Jul-2009, 11:05 AM
Anyway just a correction - no luck with females, my record was a male;-) .

Cruiser
28-Jul-2009, 11:16 AM
Great rediscovery of the Danaid Eggfly :cheers:

Commander
28-Jul-2009, 11:39 AM
Anyway just a correction - no luck with females, my record was a male;-) .

Oh... forgot. The female specimen that you showed me was from Indonesia?

horace2264
28-Jul-2009, 11:53 AM
Congrats, Bobby for the rediscovery and +1 of a rare species. :cheers:

Peacock Royal
28-Jul-2009, 12:00 PM
Congrats and well done Bobby.

Leopard Lacewing
28-Jul-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks everyone... :)

Good luck and hope you guys able to nail this species there :cheers:

Cheers!

Elbowed Pierrot
28-Jul-2009, 03:06 PM
nice work on the re-discovery Bobby

Grass Demon
28-Jul-2009, 06:03 PM
Oh yes, only have female luck overseas:whistle: - Bali for this one.

Great Mormon
28-Jul-2009, 06:13 PM
congrads on the rare +1 bobby!

butterfly_effect
28-Jul-2009, 11:01 PM
:bsmile: Spoke too fast... ;P

well...whaddaya know... I am an eggspert and I didn't know it :P

Hey Steven... what do you mean by your signature? "Butterflies are either twins, etc etc"?

Sky Blue
28-Jul-2009, 11:06 PM
Nice work there Bobby! First time seeing local Danaid Eggfly.

Grass Demon
29-Jul-2009, 11:00 AM
A butterfly (or rather butterfly's egg) is usually laid in a multiple birth resulting from one conception. Female butterflies would shun males after they have mated while in some extreme cases, the male butterfly would plug (glue) the vulva of the female :cry: after mating to ensure that no other males mate with it.

Great Mormon
29-Jul-2009, 12:30 PM
A butterfly (or rather butterfly's egg) is usually laid in a multiple birth resulting from one conception. Female butterflies would shun males after they have mated while in some extreme cases, the male butterfly would plug (glue) the vulva of the female :cry: after mating to ensure that no other males mate with it.

Talk about a chastity plug :bsmile:

Commander
29-Jul-2009, 12:31 PM
Considering what the female spider does to the male after mating, a chastity plug is nothing!

Commander
30-Jul-2009, 10:06 AM
BTW, this is not a re-discovery. It's been on the Butterflies of Singapore checklist since I started compiling it. Steven Neo has records of this species from the early 90's, and I've considered Steven's records of what he surveyed in those early days as still relevant, and I have no reason to doubt his records.

For those of you who are not aware, Steven is credited with the discovery of Arhopala major major in the early days (it's not even on C&P4's checklist!) and in more recent years, the discovery of the Pale Grass Blue (Zizeeria maha serica) which I was able to confirm with Col JN Eliot before the guru passed away.

There are two more species that he's recorded that are still on my checklist but not seen in recent years - Red Base Jezebel and Common Pierrot. Let's hope that they will be seen again in Singapore by BC members soon.

Grass Demon
31-Jul-2009, 06:49 PM
Wow, I have lost track of all these :hmmm: and you remembered better than me:thumbsup: . What BC members are doing now, like Horace's life histories and Soon Chye's genitalia disections are really taking the study and records of local butterflies to new heights.

Cruiser
01-Aug-2009, 10:42 AM
haha....and the Common Pierrot was sighted at Mandai area or M15 rigth :bsmile:

atronox
02-Aug-2009, 02:46 AM
Congratulations on the (re)discovery:redbounce
The white patch on the hindwing seems abit too wide? Just a feeling.:)