View Full Version : Some Hong Kong butts

horace2264
20-Jun-2009, 03:09 PM
Was in Hong Kong for a brief trip, and John was very kind to bring me out for an afternoon of outing in the Tai Po district. Managed to see quite a few species at the Tai Po Waterfront Park and the Feng Yuen Butterfly Reserve. These include the Paris Peacock (Papilio paris), Sullied Sailor (Neptis soma), Five-Spot Sergeant (Parathyma sulpitia), Red Ring Skirt (Hestina assimilis), Common Mapwing (Cyrestis thyodamas), White Dragontail (Lamproptera curius), Lemon Pansy, Blue Spotted Crow (Euploea midamus), Common Tiger, Great Mormon, Common Birdwing, Blue Tiger (Tirumala limniace), Common Jester (Symbrenthia lilaea), Great Eggfly (Hypolimnas bolina) Tree Flitter, Water Snow Flat (Tagiades litigiosus), Pale Grass Blue and Common Hedge Blue (found laying egg on flower buds and young shot of Rosa sp.)

Here are the only decent shots taken.

1. Blue Tiger
2. Blue Spotted Crow
3. Five-Dot Sergeant
4. Common Tiger mating pair
5. Lemon Pansy
6. Sullied Sailer
7. Common Hedge Blue

atronox
21-Jun-2009, 02:40 AM
I'm always not certain about the placement of the "five-spot sergeant".
The one i've heard of most often is Limenitis sulpitia. Sometimes Parathyma and even Neptis are used.:hmmm:

vespa_bicolor
22-Jun-2009, 02:34 AM
Glad you managed to see quite a number and get at least some nice shots. A pity so many of them were rather skittish and unapproachable.

horace2264
22-Jun-2009, 11:43 PM
Glad you managed to see quite a number and get at least some nice shots. A pity so many of them were rather skittish and unapproachable.
The weather was rather hot that day, and it is understandable that most of butts were rather active during that time period. :) Hope to have more opportunities in future to visit those butterfly sites in Hong Kong.