PDA

View Full Version : Another +1 for Samui

Painted Jezebel
30-May-2009, 03:34 PM
What is it about Samui that all the recent new species I find are stated by C&P to be rare, there are plenty of common species which should be on the Island which I have yet to find. In this case it states that all members of the genus are very rare.

This is Deramas livens livens:gbounce: (Pisuth says D. livens evansi, but I think that the two are synonymous). SK may have seen it before, I don't think many others of you will have done so. I hope you enjoy - I did!

Archduke
30-May-2009, 03:38 PM
congrats on the +1 Les, :thumbsup: :gbounce: :cheers:

Great Mormon
30-May-2009, 04:16 PM
Congrads on the +1 for Samui! :cheers:

Leopard Lacewing
30-May-2009, 05:15 PM
Nice butt and great finding. Congratulation for the +1! :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Peacock Royal
30-May-2009, 08:32 PM
Nice butt, nice capture. Congrats !

Sky Blue
31-May-2009, 11:22 AM
Wow, something new to us. Congrats on the +1!

Rare or not I think is very subjective unless details study has been done. Just like Tapena thwaitesi in Singapore, status is "Endangered" according to the Red Data Book (http://www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=143&Itemid=128) but I found their early stage in several location on the island including some parks.

Commander
31-May-2009, 11:29 AM
Rare or not I think is very subjective unless details study has been done. Just like Tapena thwaitesi in Singapore, status is "Endangered" according to the Red Data Book (http://www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=143&Itemid=128) but I found their early stage in several location on the island including some parks.

A lot of species from Lycaenidae and Hesperiidae are usually in this category. If you had read the initial part of the Red Data Book on survey protocols and classification of the IUCN categories, you'll better understand how the categories are structured.

There are quite a few other species that I would have also put as Vulnerable or Endangered but had to depend solely on surveys based on the occurrence of adults of the species seen. Then there are a few which have been classified as "DD" - "Data Deficient" of which there is some element of doubt as to their status.

Same with the Orange Tail Awl, which is considered "common" in SBG, but the adults are seldom seen.

However, even after the publication, information has already been updated or added as we discover new things. So a book such as this one is frozen at the time of printing. It's the same with the other taxonomic groups where some enthusiasts have found species to be more common than what the authors have classified them as.

Yong San
31-May-2009, 12:07 PM
Congratilation :cheers:

atronox
31-May-2009, 03:39 PM
Congratulations, Les.
Did u see the upperside?:)

Painted Jezebel
31-May-2009, 05:47 PM
Congratulations, Les.
Did u see the upperside?:)

Thanks all. Aaron, unfortunately not. Went back to the spot again today (I had another reason, not just the Deramas), but did not see it again.

I did find yet another new species, no photograph though, Burara harisa consobrina.:gbounce:

Commander
31-May-2009, 06:50 PM
I did find yet another new species, no photograph though, Burara harisa consobrina.:gbounce:

You should look for the known host plant, Arthrophyllum diversifolium, in your search for the Orange Awlet. The folded leaves on the young plant often stand out to show where the cats are.