View Full Version : Hunting in the KL Area

Painted Jezebel
24-May-2009, 09:57 AM
Firstly, many, many thanks to LC for allowing me to stay overnight before and after the ER trip, driving me there and back, and showing me the wonderful, if tiring, Shah Alam Agro-Park.

Tuesday 19 May - Shah Alam Agro-Park.
This is the Ritra site, but unfortunately, the day dawned rather cloudy/hazy, and as the Ritra only shows itself for a short period in the morning I was not hopeful. However, as the morning wore on, it became sunnier, and the butt fairy smiled on me!:gbounce: . There are some crackers here for you (species, not quality of photos!)

1) Ritra aurea volumnia - Very wary species, the slightest movement, even at some distance will make it fly to the canopy. I was very lucky in the that it landed right in front of me.
2) Prothoe franck uniformis (Blue Begum) - Sorry it is blur. This is in characteristic resting mode, head down.
3) Poritia promula elegans - (I think). I saw the pale blue, spotless upperside for a short time, hence this is the species I think. This one was new to LC.
4) Allotinus corbeti - Another new one for LC I think (correct me if I'm wrong LC). Very small, with the markings of the much larger A. leogoron.

The last three were found near the top of the highest hill in the park, a very tiring walk, but worthwhile, as there were countless other species up there, particularly Lycaenids inc. many Arhopalas.

Painted Jezebel
24-May-2009, 10:19 AM
Wednesday 20 May - Genting Highlands.

This is a wonderful area to explore, BUT, do not do what I did and take the Genting Highlands bus. It drives straight there without stopping, dropping everyone off at the the awful Genting Highlands Resort Complex. This is perched on the top of a mountain, so the only places to walk are downhill, leaving a very steep uphill walk back to the bus staion. Also, there are no places there to investigate the forest, as all along the roadside, there is a six foot wide, ten foot deep drainage ditch.

To explore the area, one needs a car, and preferably a guide who knows the Highlands well, and can take you to better, more accessible areas.

Nevertheless, there were a few butts at the roadside.

1) Vagrans egista macromalayana (The Vagrant)
2) Udara selna tanarata (I think) - Taken at long distance, and ID made through elimination and C&P4's key.
3) Cyrestis maenalis martini - The darker version of C. nivea taken by SK at ER.
4,5 & 6) Heliophorus ila malaya - I have previously shown you the male (4), from LC's an my trip to the Cameron Highlands. Here I can now show you the beautiful female (5& 6).

There were very many other interesting species flying, but they never stopped to rest. These included Delias baracasa dives, Delias descombesi and highly impressive Parantica sita ethologa, which was very common.

Painted Jezebel
24-May-2009, 10:27 AM
Thursday 21 May - FRIM

A very disappointing day, for although the morning and early afternoon was sunny, very little was around. I did see a Curetis regula and the Chocolate Royal (Ramelana jangala travana), but the only species photographed which may be of interest to you was Phrissura aegis cynis (Forest White).

Glorious Begum
24-May-2009, 02:00 PM
First of all, you are welcome to stay at my place. it is my honor to go butterflying with expert like you. It was the first time too for me sighted Ritra & Begum Begum in a single trip. I would miss the Blue Begum if not because of your sharp eyes. :cheers:

Surprisingly you are able to find Heliophorus ila malaya in Genting highland. A rare species indeed, maybe I will go there to hunt for it in one week end. It is not that high actually the Genting Highland. I should have told you to go to Awana, the mid point of Genting highland. More areas for you to explore instead high up on the top.

Finally in FRIM, most of the butts are quite common to you I guess. Also, you my need a guide like me to lead you to a specific place. :bsmile:
I need to charge service fees next time. :cheers:

Here I declare,

Guide & trip to

1) Ritra sighting - RM100 non-fundable, 1/2 day + transport + meal
2) Blue Begum - RM100 non-fundable, 1/2 day + transport + meal
3) FRIM butterfly watching - RM200 non-fundable, 1 day + transport + meal
4) Genting Highland - RM300 non-fundable, 1 day + transport + meal

Just kidding, guys. But you are welcome if you want to buy me beers... :bsmile: :cheers:

Glorious Begum
24-May-2009, 02:28 PM
Pertaining to Poritia promula elegans, I normally skip it as i always thought it is Poritia sumatrae. :bsmile:

atronox
24-May-2009, 05:12 PM
Nice Ritra.:)

Sky Blue
24-May-2009, 05:36 PM
Nice to see so many different butts!

Peacock Royal
24-May-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks Les for sharing these species.
Yes, Ritra is nice.

Archduke
25-May-2009, 10:52 PM
great finds Les, most of us are too tired by the end of the 3rd day and yet you are heading further north to capture more of these beauties!
thanks for sharing, it must have been a really tough time for u to load these pictures.

butterfly_effect
25-May-2009, 11:06 PM
Les... at FRIM, you can try the small muddy stream at the foot of the hill on the other side from the start of the trail where most people go to and not along the trail. There are very little butterflies on the trail itself (well, a few flitted past but the trees are too dense to trace).

Next to the stream is a small easy path and there are butterflies there too.

Further away from FRIM is the research facility which FRIM staff work at. Behind the facility is a nice unmarked brush. There are lots of grey pansies, chocolate soldiers and other interesting butterflies there. Maybe not rare... but very plentiful. That facility also has tons of odonates.

Then there is a butterfly trail that is made by FRIM for wheelchair bound folk. It's got a cemented walkway and it is known by the staff as a butterfly trail so if you ask, they can show you where it is I think... I'm not sure because I was freaking out over my damaged CF card contents from the first day while they drove me around in the van.

That butterfly trail has got a lot of funny looking BIG skippities... :)

FRIM is nice...

LC... I want to go again.... got discount on your 'rates' for BC members? mauahahahaha... :P