PDA

View Full Version : Need help in FLASH maintenance...

blurboiboi
22-May-2009, 11:05 PM
hi... as an avid butt shooter.... i shoot alot in forested areas heavily infested with blood sucking mosquitoes... thus applying insect repellent is a common practice... however when the repellent comes into contact with plastic (my flash)... it seems to get stuck on it...
anyone got any advice on how to remove insect repellent stain from plastic??...

thanks!!

Great Mormon
22-May-2009, 11:08 PM
hi... as an avid butt shooter.... i shoot alot in forested areas heavily infested with blood sucking mosquitoes... thus applying insect repellent is a common practice... however when the repellent comes into contact with plastic (my flash)... it seems to get stuck on it...
anyone got any advice on how to remove insect repellent stain from plastic??...

thanks!!

try zippo fluid :P

But these SAF stuff is really nasty, probably reacted with the plastic on the flash. Sorry Terry, cant really help much here :(

Commander
22-May-2009, 11:11 PM
Sounds bad. Some repellent has hydrocarbons as a base (i.e. petrol). These will melt plastic. So if you had got some of that on your flash, there's no way of repairing the damage. But I'd say that the 'damage' is purely cosmetic, as it should not have any effect on the function of your flash.

Worst case scenario? 2nd hand value of flash drop. :)

Archduke
22-May-2009, 11:30 PM
dont let the contaminated sweat seep into the LCDs. the transparent plastic will kenna the worst kinda damage. otherwise there is nothing wrong with it.

blurboiboi
22-May-2009, 11:47 PM
ah.... so sad... guess i juz have to leave with it....
thanks guys!!!

actually thinking of using "thinner" on it to try my luck.... will thinner have any adverse effects on plastic??...

Commander
22-May-2009, 11:49 PM
actually thinking of using "thinner" on it to try my luck.... will thinner have any adverse effects on plastic??...

Yes... you'll probably make the stain even worse with the thinner!

Archduke
22-May-2009, 11:54 PM
do not use any solvents.... with thinner, u can see ur plastic turn into goo =p

blurboiboi
23-May-2009, 12:03 AM
Yes... you'll probably make the stain even worse with the thinner!

do not use any solvents.... with thinner, u can see ur plastic turn into goo =p

ohz haha.. okok... thanks for the warning...
no other products i can try out in the market??... hee

Silverstreak
23-May-2009, 12:18 AM
go gaffer tape your flash or camera that is the only way to prevent it. In any case those damages done cannot be undone.

For removal of stains , some alcohol based stain remover like Cabona is fairly safe, however I have no idea if they are sold locally. I got my bottle from son who bot it from state side .

http://www.carbona.com/index.asp?PageAction=COMPANY

Leopard Lacewing
23-May-2009, 08:55 AM
For stain removal, can try 'label removal'... my service dept uses it to remove those sticky labels.

Cheers!

Archduke
25-May-2009, 11:00 PM
For stain removal, can try 'label removal'... my service dept uses it to remove those sticky labels.

Cheers!

you can try and test for us. if it doesnt melt ur flash we will know its safe to use :bsmile:

blurboiboi
31-May-2009, 02:14 AM

Cheers!

wats a label removal??

Leopard Lacewing
31-May-2009, 02:05 PM
It's Electrolube LRM label remover.

Cheers!

Silverstreak
02-Jun-2009, 12:00 AM
Alternately get this GOO GONE (http://www.magicamerican.com/googone.aspx)at Home-Fix , 8 fluid oz at $9.90.

Was using this for many years just found it a few days back at Home-Fix ----no effect on plastic parts tried and tested on my flash and camera body.