PDA

View Full Version : The Clippers docked in Singapore port

Commander
20-May-2009, 12:19 AM
In preparation for the launch of the Butterfly Garden @ Hort Park, a number of pupae were delivered from Penang Butterfly Farm.

Very soon, we will have several 'new' species in the enclosure. :)

Here's a record shot of the Clipper (Parthenos sylvia lilacinus) all the way from Penang. :grin2:

Glorious Begum
20-May-2009, 11:42 PM
Lovely butt, still searching for the egg. Do you know the host plant ?

Commander
21-May-2009, 09:32 AM

The pupae have been imported from Penang Butt Farm. They are breeding it there, so the host plant is plentiful. I discovered the cat some time back at the Peta side of ER. Read C&P4 for the species of the host plant, but that may not be what I found the cat on.

Best bet would be to shoot the host plant when I go back to Penang later this year. :)

Glorious Begum
21-May-2009, 10:45 PM
The pupae have been imported from Penang Butt Farm. They are breeding it there, so the host plant is plentiful. I discovered the cat some time back at the Peta side of ER. Read C&P4 for the species of the host plant, but that may not be what I found the cat on.

Best bet would be to shoot the host plant when I go back to Penang later this year. :)

ok, I guess I have it in my garden. Just want to re-confirm it again. Been cheated once. :bsmile:

EarlyStages
22-May-2009, 02:05 PM

LC, Clipper eggs have the same hirsute appearance (with hexagonal, concave facets) as those of the Commander (Moduza procris) and Sailers (Neptis). Plants in three families are reportedly utilized, but I think your best chance of finding young Clippers – and with luck, Cruisers, Vindula dejone – is on Adenia (Passifloraceae). FYI, captive hosts are not necessarily a reliable indication of what an ovipositing female will use/prefers in the wild. Good luck!

Keith

Glorious Begum
22-May-2009, 08:36 PM
LC, Clipper eggs have the same hirsute appearance (with hexagonal, concave facets) as those of the Commander (Moduza procris) and Sailers (Neptis). Plants in three families are reportedly utilized, but I think your best chance of finding young Clippers – and with luck, Cruisers, Vindula dejone – is on Adenia (Passifloraceae). FYI, captive hosts are not necessarily a reliable indication of what an ovipositing female will use/prefers in the wild. Good luck!

Keith

Noted with thanks. Yes, Knowing that there is non Clipper in where I stay. Probably somewhere far away. Just in case, if I found the egg in far distance, i can still breed it with this plant in my garden. :cheers:

Here is the plant I have planted nearly 2 years ago.