PDA

View Full Version : new member intro

Adrian Hoskins
30-Mar-2009, 02:57 AM
Hi

This is just to introduce myself as a new contributor / member.

I'm Adrian Hoskins from England.

I've got about 40 years experience as a field entomologist and my website www.learnaboutbutterflies.com is now in its 3rd year of operation. It aims to give a very thorough coverage of butterfly / moth biology, taxonomy, ecology, photography and many other related subjects. It currently runs to over 600 pages and about 1500 photographs, mostly taken by myself, but expanding to include work by other photographers.

It deals with butterflies and moths from all over the world, but at the moment there is a strong emphasis on the Amazon and Andeas fauna, and total coverage of British fauna. I lead butterfly-watching holidays to places including Brazil, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Peru, Ghana; and have led trips to Malaysia twice.

I will be revisting Malaysia this year with the aim of getting lots of photographs and ecological information so that I can expand the Malaysia / Borneo section of my website. Khew has suggested that I write up something about my experiences in Malaysia, and I'll be glad to do so; also to participate in the forums.

The standard of photography on Butterfies of Singapore is very impressive, especially the life history shots ova / larvae / pupae, and it would be nice to be able to use some of these on my website; and in exchange I would gladly let my Malaysia / Oriental species shots be used on Butterflies of Singapore. I've already added a link to BOS on my site.

As well as my own website I am involved with the www.ukbutterflies.co.uk site, and I participate in the www.neotropicalbutterflies.com forums, helping people to identify Amazonian and Andean butterflies. I find this helps me brush up my own ID skills greatly ! I'm also in regular contact with many taxonomists around the world, who assist me with difficult IDs.

That's enough about me, just thought I'd introduce myself.

Adrian

Common Mime
30-Mar-2009, 07:40 AM
Welcome onboard, Adrian. Hope to learn more from you.

horace2264
30-Mar-2009, 08:09 AM
A very warm welcome to the forum, Adrian.

Looking forward to your visit to this region, and your contribution of photos of butterflies from other parts of the world. :)

Great Mormon
30-Mar-2009, 08:09 AM
Welcome aboard Adrian! Great to have someone as knowledgeable as you here! :cheers:

Peacock Royal
30-Mar-2009, 09:19 AM
Welcome, Adrian
We will certainly benefit from your contributions to the forum. Thanks for joining us. :cheers:

Commander
30-Mar-2009, 09:26 AM
Welcome aboard, Adrian. :cheers:

Always glad to have another butterfly enthusiast and expert on board with us.

On the issue of leading tours, you may want to contact Les (aka Painted Jezebel in these forums), who's in Koh Samui. Thailand is one country with spectacular butterfly biodiversity, and is a relatively price-competitive country to visit as well.

Wanderer
30-Mar-2009, 09:32 AM
welcome to the circle! hope to learn more from you! :cheers:

Painted Jezebel
30-Mar-2009, 09:52 AM
Welcome, Adrian. I know the area where you live quite well, having spent many wonderful holidays in the New Forest as a chiild.

If you ever feel like giving Thailand a go, let me know.:grin2:

Glorious Begum
30-Mar-2009, 05:08 PM
Welcome, Adrian. Read about your site in the past, very informative. :cheers:

If you come to Malaysia, PM me. :cheers:

A few Malaysian butterfly shots can be found here at My site below.

benetay
30-Mar-2009, 06:56 PM
Welcome! Welcome! Adrian! Certainly impress by your works and we are all glad to have you here. Enjoy your stay!

Cheers!

Silverstreak
30-Mar-2009, 07:40 PM
Adrian ,

A very warm Welcome to ButterflyCircle !

Hoping to learn from your expertise.

Cheers!

Cruiser
30-Mar-2009, 10:46 PM
Welcome aboard, Adrian. I'm impress by your works, lots of info there.

Leopard Lacewing
30-Mar-2009, 11:03 PM
Welcome to BC, Adrian. Thanks for sharing your websites. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Adrian Hoskins
31-Mar-2009, 02:05 AM
Hi all

Wow ! That is some welcome ! Thanks everyone.

I'll certainly take advantage of the offer from Les / Painted Jezebel to help organise a trip to Thailand at some stage. I've already got Malaysia in May, and a trip to northern Peru lined up for June 2010, so not sure when I can fit it in yet. I'll also take advantage of any offers to use some of the fantastic photos on BOS on my website, especially shots of larvae, and of predators, which I need more of.

I'm sure also that I'll learn a lot from BOS about Oriental region butterflies and sites to visit. I think I'll also learn a lot about photography judging by the very high standards of the photos on BOS !

I hope I can return the favours by producing some interesting items and photos for BOS after my return from Malaysia.

BTW, if any of you guys like the idea of joining a butterfly-watching tour to South America, you know who to ask !

All the best
Adrian

www.learnaboutbutterflies.com

Commander
31-Mar-2009, 10:02 AM
BTW, if any of you guys like the idea of joining a butterfly-watching tour to South America, you know who to ask !

Just post some of your exotic South American butterfly shots here to whet our appetites. Who knows, after some drooling, we may be tempted to go one of these days! :grin2:

horace2264
31-Mar-2009, 09:58 PM
I'll also take advantage of any offers to use some of the fantastic photos on BOS on my website, especially shots of larvae, and of predators, which I need more of.

You are welcome to use any of my pics of immature stages posted in this forum, should you find them suitable for your website. :)

atronox
01-Apr-2009, 02:02 AM
Hi, Adrian. Welcome to butterflycircle.
I'm just wondering if u have any Callicore photos to share.:)

Adrian Hoskins
01-Apr-2009, 02:39 AM
Hi all

Thanks Horace for your offer to let me use some of your larvae photos, I'm very impressed by the head shots and would certainly like to feature one on my Lifecycle pages. I'd also like to use maybe 4 or 5 other shots of larvae on my Caterpillars of the World pages. If I choose say half a dozen of your larvae shots, would it be possible to send me full size images of them so that I can resize and crop to fit my pages ?

Khew, you would like your appetite whetted ? OK here are Temenis laothoe ( form violae ); Rhetus dysonii, and Siproeta stelenes. You can see the full size images and species descriptions of these and other Suth American species by visiting the Butterflies of Amazonia and Butterflies of the Andes galleries on my website www.learnaboutbutterflies.com.

Aaron, you will find shots of Callicore ( and the similar genus Diaethrea ) by checking out the above mentioned galleries.

All the best
Adrian

Archduke
01-Apr-2009, 05:56 PM
:what: these are very pretty butts!
your making me drool already.

Common Mime
01-Apr-2009, 06:34 PM
I'll also take advantage of any offers to use some of the fantastic photos on BOS on my website, especially shots of larvae, and of predators, which I need more of.Hi Adrian,
you may use if you find any of my shots is useful to you.

atronox
01-Apr-2009, 07:54 PM
Aaron, you will find shots of Callicore ( and the similar genus Diaethrea ) by checking out the above mentioned galleries.

All the best
Adrian
Thank you very much Adrian.:grin2:

horace2264
01-Apr-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks Horace for your offer to let me use some of your larvae photos, I'm very impressed by the head shots and would certainly like to feature one on my Lifecycle pages. I'd also like to use maybe 4 or 5 other shots of larvae on my Caterpillars of the World pages. If I choose say half a dozen of your larvae shots, would it be possible to send me full size images of them so that I can resize and crop to fit my pages ?

Sure, no problem. Let me know which shots are your picks, and I will send them to you via email.

vespa_bicolor
02-Apr-2009, 01:22 AM
Hello Adrian,

Welcome!

I am actually more into researching bees and wasps, but sometimes take photos of butterflies too. You have a very well-done website which I feel is one of the best examples I have ever come across and which I should use as a reference point when I do get around to updating to my own website, which is in need of a good overhaul. Will check back every now and then when I'm free and read through your trip reports.

Adrian Hoskins
03-Apr-2009, 06:55 AM
Thanks John, I'm glad you like my website. I'm trying to improve it all the time with more information and better photos. It has grown enormously since I started it two and a half years ago. The layout and navigation seems to work quite well, but the web creation software I use ( MS FrontPage ) gives it a slightly dated look, and at some stage I want to modernise the style. I'm looking forward to my upcoming trip to Malaysia and will be trying to get lots of good photos and observations on the butterflies I see.

Best wishes
Adrian

Archduke
03-Apr-2009, 08:54 AM
i am sure u can employ the help of ant for ur website john