View Full Version : An unexpected visitor

vespa_bicolor
28-Mar-2009, 06:06 PM
Came back from lunch and saw this beauty clinging on to the bamboo curtain hanging across the window. I think it is a Great Orange Tip (Hebomoia glaucippe), which is very common in Hong Kong. Oddly enough it was resting in an open-winged posture like a moth - usually, though common, it is seldom seen with wings open at rest, and the underside makes it blend in with leaves instead. It seems weak - not sure if it is injured or is it due to the cold - it is cold and foggy at this moment. I brought it downstairs after taking a few photos.

Commander
28-Mar-2009, 07:12 PM
Woah... it looks like a recently-eclosed fella. :cheers:

Over here, it's a rare seasonal migratory species, and it's not been spotted in quite a long time.

vespa_bicolor
28-Mar-2009, 07:23 PM
I remember seeing it once during my recent stay back home. Unfortunately can't remember just where - didn't take much note of it because I didn't know it is so uncommon.

benetay
28-Mar-2009, 07:59 PM
It's pointing it's butt up.

& i have never seen this here!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Silverstreak
28-Mar-2009, 11:45 PM
John,

She was refusing your advances!~!!:bsmile:

Check here for the meaning of a female pointing its butt up... (http://butterflycircle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7555&highlight=painted+jazebel)

vespa_bicolor
28-Mar-2009, 11:57 PM
Oh my :bsmile: :bsmile:

But seriously, any way to tell from this pic if it is a male or female? It was just sitting in that position, very still, from the time I came in.

Commander
29-Mar-2009, 12:24 AM
Erm.... sorry guys, this is a male. So in this case, it may be showing you one of its ahem... fingers? :bsmile:

Females have a series of black marginal and submarginal markings on the hindwings. :)

Silverstreak
29-Mar-2009, 12:41 AM
Ops salah Sex!!!:omg:

Archduke
29-Mar-2009, 01:09 AM
omg great orange tip!!!

Painted Jezebel
29-Mar-2009, 08:29 AM
What a lovely pristine male. It appears to be a different subspecies to those found in Thailand, judging by the quite extensive black apical markings on the forewing.

On Samui, this is a commonly seen species, most easily photographed either when puddling (closed wings), or when visiting hibiscus flowers (open wings). I have never seen one making a 'house call' before:grin2: .