View Full Version : Some relevant changes in C&P4 Updates

Commander
28-Dec-2008, 12:17 AM
Since most of you don't have a copy of the late Col JN Eliot's C&P4 Update in the Malayan Nature Journal, I'm posting some of the more relevant info to the Singapore scene here.

The pages refer to C&P4 :

Pg 58 : Troides : It is considered that Trogonoptera and Ornithoptera should be re-instated as full genera. It is interesting that the structural colour scales of both are of different types (Tilley & Eliot, 2002)

Pg 87 : Pieris canidia Careful examination of Singapore examples with the nominate subspecies flying in Hong Kong reveals no constant differences. IT seems certain taht there has not yet been sufficient time for the evolution of significant differences to justify a separate name for the Singapore population. I therefore establish Pieris malayica Martin 1909, as syn. n. of Papilio canidia Linnaeus, 1768. In future, the Singapore population should be designated as Pieris canidia canidia (Linnaeus, 1768) (= malayica Martin, 1909)

Page 382 : Potanthus hetaerus. The taxon serina Plotz is now considered a distinct species as it occurs sympatrically with hetaerus Mabille in Tawi Tawi (de Jong & Treadaway, 1993). References to P hetaerus should read P. serina.

There are a lot more which I will continue to add from time to time depending on whether I have the mood to type or not.. ;P

Most of the paras get very scientific, and I think perhaps only Horace, Les and I may have any clue of what the heck is being written. :bsmile:

atronox
28-Dec-2008, 02:15 AM
Pg 58 : Troides : It is considered that Trogonoptera and Ornithoptera should be re-instated as full genera. It is interesting that the structural colour scales of both are of different types (Tilley & Eliot, 2002)
I thought this was done long ago?:hmmm: