PDA

View Full Version : Is this Blue Pansy Female?

Bluebottle
21-Dec-2008, 12:18 AM
Shot this beauty sometime back and all the while I thought it is a Blue Pansy Female until I came across one again today. It looks quite different from those in the checklist.
May be it is polymorphism at play again?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3109/3122879656_3ee15c2aa7.jpg

Commander
21-Dec-2008, 12:32 AM
This is the Lemon Pansy (Junonia lemonias lemonias). Thus far, it's not found in Singapore... yet.. :)

Bluebottle
21-Dec-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks Khew.
It was shot in Malaysia :) (should have it made known before hand)

Did a google on Lemon Pansy and I am pleasantly surprised that
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brush-footed_butterfly) is building up a database on Nymphalidae, though most of the information is contributed from India.

It may come in handy for researching some foreign species.

And the following is on a list of
Juonia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junonia) (click on the 'specifies' on the left column)

Glorious Begum
21-Dec-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks Khew.
It was shot in Malaysia :) (should have it made known before hand)

Which part of Malaysia ? :thinking:

Bluebottle
21-Dec-2008, 05:30 PM
Which part of Malaysia ? :thinking:
Ipoh.
Next time I will run through your pbase collections to check on Malaysia butterfly :grin2:

Glorious Begum
22-Dec-2008, 09:57 AM
Ipoh.
Next time I will run through your pbase collections to check on Malaysia butterfly :grin2:

Ah.. must look for one next time I go back. Strangely I didn't see any in the past in Gopeng. :cheers:

Commander
22-Dec-2008, 10:43 AM
Ah.. must look for one next time I go back. Strangely I didn't see any in the past in Gopeng. :cheers:

The Lemon Pansy is a sunny open-plains type of butt, like its other Pansy cousins. So you'd probably find them in urban parks and gardens rather than in the forests.

When I was in Penang last year and took a trip to the Botanical Gardens, there were at least a dozen of these buggers frolicking around a few Lantana bushes. But like the Blue and Peacock Pansy, it's skittish and alert.

I also heard that the species has been making its way down south and has been spotted in PJ.

In my schoolboy days, the Lemon Pansy was more confined to the northern part of Malaysia. Looks like another species coming down south. Maybe our ERP gantries are attracting them... ;P

Glorious Begum
22-Dec-2008, 10:52 AM
Also, I have not seen any of it in KL / Selangor too.

btw, what is PJ & what is ERP ? :embrass:

Archduke
22-Dec-2008, 11:00 AM
ERP = Every Road Pay
well just kidding
its supposed to be Electronic Road Pricing

Commander
22-Dec-2008, 11:48 AM
btw, what is PJ & what is ERP ? :embrass:

Oops... sorry. We Singaporeans are an acronymic lot. ;P Sometimes we forget that others don't give abbreviations to everything.

ERP is our famous Electronic Road Pricing gantries that are springing up everywhere on our roads. Pay and Pay...

PJ? That's closer to you lah... Petaling Jaya!

Glorious Begum
22-Dec-2008, 08:43 PM
Oops... sorry. We Singaporeans are an acronymic lot. ;P Sometimes we forget that others don't give abbreviations to everything.

ERP is our famous Electronic Road Pricing gantries that are springing up everywhere on our roads. Pay and Pay...

PJ? That's closer to you lah... Petaling Jaya!

How come I have not seen any ? It is just next to my place, probably less than 20km away. I am sure they can reach here very soon. Need to open my eyes big big. :bsmile:

Bluebottle
22-Dec-2008, 10:47 PM
How come I have not seen any ? It is just next to my place, probably less than 20km away. I am sure they can reach here very soon. Need to open my eyes big big. :bsmile:

Ha ha ha be patient. Let us know when you find one in KL and probably we can plot and track its migration path to Singapore :cheers:

Ya, agreed with Khew. It is a sun loving butts. Mistaken it with female blue pansy, I ignored it at the beginning when I first saw it at the back yard of my parents house. I am glad I grabbed the camera and took a shot.