PDA

View Full Version : Hyalinity of FPF's wing spots

horace2264
08-Dec-2008, 05:07 PM
One Fulvous Pied Flat eclosed early this morning, and I missed the event totally. :-(

Quite by accident, I noticed the changes in the appearance of hyaline spots on its forewings when the main light source (a table light) was moved across the scene. Thought that this aninmated gif would be a good example of showing the hyalinity of such spots. :)
http://docs.google.com/File?id=dd4m758m_29gqm4g2fr_b

Commander
08-Dec-2008, 05:49 PM
Interesting... maybe you should do this effect on the other specimens that you are breeding and you may find something else new! :)

benetay
08-Dec-2008, 06:07 PM
Can we also determine that during different parts of the day when the sun is shining in different direction, the colours actually help the butterfly to be well camouflage?

horace2264
08-Dec-2008, 09:22 PM
Interesting... maybe you should do this effect on the other specimens that you are breeding and you may find something else new! :)

Something new? These hyaline spots are mentioned in the ID key for FPF, so the fact that these spots are translucent/transparent is not new.

However, I will try this effect on future specimens to check for presence of hyaline spots and markings. :)

Can we also determine that during different parts of the day when the sun is shining in different direction, the colours actually help the butterfly to be well camouflage?
That is an interesting thought. :)
Maybe someone can do some research on the possible use of hyaline spots for camouflage purpose.

Commander
08-Dec-2008, 10:12 PM
Something new? These hyaline spots are mentioned in the ID key for FPF, so the fact that these spots are translucent/transparent is not new.

Not for the FPF, but other skipper species like the Caltoris, Pelopidas and Polytremis spp. where the upperside and underside spots are sometimes different. Shining a light through may show up spots which may be otherwise missed. :)

Sky Blue
08-Dec-2008, 10:29 PM
Good idea there Horace, I tried that only on specimen but not live butt, to chk the translucent spots.

horace2264
09-Dec-2008, 12:50 AM
Not for the FPF, but other skipper species like the Caltoris, Pelopidas and Polytremis spp. where the upperside and underside spots are sometimes different. Shining a light through may show up spots which may be otherwise missed. :)
Agreed that not all ID keys for skipper species are detailed enough, and we probably can fill in some regarding the spots if I have the chance to do so. :)

Good idea there Horace, I tried that only on specimen but not live butt, to chk the translucent spots.
Yes, I believe set specimens are regularly examined by researchers and collectors alike in this manner for such details. :)