PDA

View Full Version : A large Miletus specimen

horace2264
26-Nov-2008, 01:24 AM
Encountered this rather large Miletus today on my way back to my car. At first I thought this was a large Common Caerulean as I could make out large white patches on its upperside as it fluttered around me. I only realized that it was a Miletus after it stopped to rest. It is easily 1.5-2 times the size of a typical Miletus biggsii.

benetay
26-Nov-2008, 10:09 AM
Horace, nice meeting you today. I agree with you, personally i saw it too & they look huge. twice the size easily. Will post a picture soonest. Was tracking it all morning.

cheers!

Commander
26-Nov-2008, 10:10 AM
Could be a very large female Miletus symethus. But without an actual specimen, I can't say for sure. There are always mysteries in our forests, waiting to be discovered!

benetay
26-Nov-2008, 10:18 AM
I encounter at lease 4-5 of them at the 'miletus' - 'logania' site.

Their flight pattern looks similar just that it's huge! Size of a fifty cent coin.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii215/bendanbutt/Bigmiletus.jpg

Comparing the size of the ants to the butt.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii215/bendanbutt/biggsmating-1.jpg

Cheers!

Silverstreak
26-Nov-2008, 04:53 PM
Yes ! I had noted that some specimen of the Miletus symethus around the area are of fairly large sizeas compare to the norm. Also the upper forewing white patch are very prominent in flight.

This is a female specimen shot on 24/11/08 while she was attempting to oviposit (not the perch she's on).

horace2264
27-Nov-2008, 12:15 AM
Thanks, Ben, Khew and Sunny for ID suggestion and adding additional info on this Miletus specimen. :)

It is interesting to note the plate in Pisuth's book on Miletus symethus also shows black dusting on both wings. :thinking:

benetay
27-Nov-2008, 12:26 AM
Only saw one individual today. Looks like the rain is taking it hard on the butts.

:-(

atronox
30-Nov-2008, 12:23 AM
Miletus symethus looks quite large in C&P4.