PDA

View Full Version : Pitcher Blue

Silverstreak
29-Sep-2008, 03:40 PM
Second encounter with this guy at the Southern Ridges...

Virachola kessuma deliochus (Pitcher Blue)

Commander
29-Sep-2008, 03:59 PM
They're definitely up there somewhere. Probably with a life history that depends on the Nepenthes found commonly on KRP or one of the other ridge parks. :thinking:

benetay
29-Sep-2008, 07:50 PM
At the new spa area also got a tree hanging with lots of Nepenthes, even ground level filled with them, never saw any butterflies. All the spikes are out but nothing. Maybe got to look harder next time.

atronox
29-Sep-2008, 08:09 PM
Looks like the fate of this sp. is doomed once the hostplant disappears.:-( There is a big clump of Nepenthes at the Lornie trail.

Silverstreak
29-Sep-2008, 11:40 PM
Can be very tiring turning over thousands of pitcher plant leaves...... over the last 2.5 years have checked those Nepenthes at MNT , KRP , TBHP , MF , LT , the spa and Sunny's Plain........ din even spot a single butt nor eggs.

Other than the one shot by Horace at MNT , my 3-4 encounters with this species were all very alert single individual on the Southern Ridges...... that gave me just one chance to squeeze the shutter before they disappeared up the treeline.

:cheers:

atronox
30-Sep-2008, 12:13 AM
Can be very tiring turning over thousands of pitcher plant leaves...... over the last 2.5 years have checked those Nepenthes at MNT , KRP , TBHP , MF , LT , the spa and Sunny's Plain........ din even spot a single butt nor eggs.
:cheers:Actually, u cn check the fruits (esp. inside) other than the leaves as that is where lycaenid cats often turn up.:)

benetay
30-Sep-2008, 12:24 AM
Sunny that is why i dream about you in a helicopter. Maybe one day, eventually you'll be up there.

hadassahsg
06-Jan-2010, 01:08 PM
Actually, u cn check the fruits (esp. inside) other than the leaves as that is where lycaenid cats often turn up.:)

Hi :) Great advice from Atronox :grin2: I chanced upon the eggs and caterpillars of this sp. sometime ago and have documented it in 'A guide to the carnivorous plants of Singapore'.

The eggs are laid on the tip of seed pods that are about 1/2 way to maturity. Do look for tiny holes at the sides of the seed pods (near to where the pod is attached to the stalk attaching it to the infructesence)... hope this helps..

The caterpillars seem to be very heavily parasitized by the Ichneumon wasps.. out of about 10 larvae only 2 made it to maturity, and these were the ones I got from egg stage..

The plot I was working in was a small clearing on a hillock overlooking KR, but back then the trees were still rather short (3-5m) and the area was very open. All 5 native species of neps (including 2 natural hybrids) could be found in the study area, but the eggs and larvae were found mainly on N gracilis and N rafflesiana, probably because these two were the most common and flowered regularly.

I would love to breed this sp again too, but unfortunately have not been able to collect the larvae again since. I checked and checked all the nep fruits I came across, even those from Malaysia... but... no 'luck' :-(

Commander
06-Jan-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks, Hadassah. This is very useful information. We will be grateful if you could share with us more photos of your records of the early stages of this species.

If it is so heavily dependent on Nepenthes spp. its survival is critically endangered if the loss of habitats of this plant causes its extinction.

hadassahsg
06-Jan-2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks, Hadassah. This is very useful information. We will be grateful if you could share with us more photos of your records of the early stages of this species.

If it is so heavily dependent on Nepenthes spp. its survival is critically endangered if the loss of habitats of this plant causes its extinction.

Thanks !:) I have the 35mm slides somewhere... will need to try and convert into digital format :embrass:

Agree... I'm quite worried too because it seems to be only spotted around the KR area, and over the years the locality has been quite heavily developed. I really hope that butterfly enthusiasts can get some eggs/ larvae and re-establish the species in other locations... otherwise if they develop KR further then that may be the end for this sp in Singapore... :-(

Silverstreak
07-Jan-2010, 01:46 AM
Hadassah Thank You for the infor!

Though met the adults on 4 occassions since 2005, 2 times in TBHP and 2 times at KRP. I have yet to locate any cats on the Nepenthes seedpod on these two locations. I believe Horace also encountered one individual at Petai Boardwalk at MNT.

It is a rather elusive and skittish butterfly . On my four encounters , it has always been one shot before it disappeared up the treeline.

http://www.butterflycircle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2984&highlight=Pitcher+Blue

http://www.butterflycircle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2876&highlight=Pitcher+Blue&page=2

http://www.butterflycircle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5415&highlight=Pitcher+Blue

hadassahsg
08-Jan-2010, 10:31 AM
Happy to be of help :) Sorry what does 'MNT' stand for ?
Just wondering... did you try to break the fruit pods to see if there're seeds inside ? I've come across some with very low seed count/ no seeds... could be one of the reasons why there are no cats on these..

Hadassah Thank You for the infor!

Though met the adults on 4 occassions since 2005, 2 times in TBHP and 2 times at KRP. I have yet to locate any cats on the Nepenthes seedpod on these two locations. I believe Horace also encountered one individual at Petai Boardwalk at MNT.

It is a rather elusive and skittish butterfly . On my four encounters , it has always been one shot before it disappeared up the treeline.

http://www.butterflycircle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2984&highlight=Pitcher+Blue

http://www.butterflycircle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2876&highlight=Pitcher+Blue&page=2

http://www.butterflycircle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5415&highlight=Pitcher+Blue

horace2264
08-Jan-2010, 11:34 AM
Happy to be of help :) Sorry what does 'MNT' stand for ?

MNT stands for MacRitchie Nature Trail. :)

atronox
08-Jan-2010, 12:28 PM
Just wondering... did you try to break the fruit pods to see if there're seeds inside ? I've come across some with very low seed count/ no seeds... could be one of the reasons why there are no cats on these..
It might also be because there were cats inside.

Silverstreak
08-Jan-2010, 02:03 PM
hadassahsg,

Originally Posted by hadassahsg
Just wondering... did you try to break the fruit pods to see if there're seeds inside ? I've come across some with very low seed count/ no seeds... could be one of the reasons why there are no cats on these

Yes, I had whenever there are fruit pods on these pitcher plant on both locations.

:cheers:

hadassahsg
08-Jan-2010, 05:42 PM
It might also be because there were cats inside.

Sorry... I meant intact fruit pods with very few seeds/ no seeds inside due to pollen incompatibility/ other aberrations etc that are due to be aborted :)

hadassahsg
08-Jan-2010, 05:43 PM
MNT stands for MacRitchie Nature Trail. :)

Thanks... I think it's worth looking at the Neps growing there then. Will pop down to take a look :)

Banded Yeoman
29-Jan-2010, 08:52 PM
What if the cats accidentally plop into the pitcher?:aan: