PDA

View Full Version : Something new and others

Painted Jezebel
28-Sep-2008, 10:23 AM
Confirmed a new species for my list, Celastrina lavendularis isabella (Plain Hedge Blue), not spectacular, but a +1 is a +1, and they do not come about very often any more.

Also some less common shots of species not found down your way, or rarely encountered.

Graphium doson evemonides (Common Jay). A very cooperative model, which hovered in the same place for a long time allowing me to focus.

Cepora iudith malaya (Orange Gull), male. Difficult to get upperside. This is heavily cropped, as you can tell!

Pareronia anais (Common Wanderer). Male upper and undersides.

Great Mormon
28-Sep-2008, 12:09 PM
nice shots les! thumbs up for the topside of the bottle

Sky Blue
28-Sep-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks for sharing Les :)

Painted Jezebel
29-Sep-2008, 12:11 AM
nice shots les! thumbs up for the topside of the bottle

Er Hum!:police: It is not a bottle - it's a Jay!:) Now please read up on your C&P4, otherwise I will have to:whip: :bsmile:

benetay
29-Sep-2008, 07:49 PM
Great shot of the open wing. Only saw once when the Jay decides to open it's wing during puddling.

Les, didn't know you like to whip people. :bsmile:

Cheers!

Great Mormon
29-Sep-2008, 09:21 PM
Great shot of the open wing. Only saw once when the Jay decides to open it's wing during puddling.

Les, didn't know you like to whip people. :bsmile:

Cheers!

I havent gotten the chance of seeing a jay or a bottle opening its wings during puddling sessions.

benetay
30-Sep-2008, 12:25 AM
Eventually is the word i guess.

Cheers!

Painted Jezebel
30-Sep-2008, 09:00 AM
In 2 years of trying, this is the first, and only, time I have had the opportunity of an open winged shot of the Jay. Patience, and luck, is the key here.

Now to get the Bottle and the two Swordtails!

Commander
30-Sep-2008, 09:10 AM
If these Graphiums are happily puddling for some time, I've very often encountered them flying off somewhere nearby and then opening up their wings to sunbathe. It's happened many times before and that's when I was able to nail open winged shots of them. :)

benetay
30-Sep-2008, 10:03 AM
I would love to know where, after puddling for sometime they either go up the tree to 'chill' then return down sometime later or fly off.

Commander
30-Sep-2008, 10:10 AM
Only when they've had their fill of puddling. Simon and I have shot both the Blue Jay and Common Bluebottle with their wings wide open.

In the case of the Common Bluebottle (http://butterflycircle.blogspot.com/2008/09/butterfly-of-month-september-2008.html) which I shot recently at the concrete spa, it opened its wings whilst puddling and remained in that position for quite some time. Pity Mark, Anthony and Sunny were a long distance away hunting for the EP when the Bluebottle finally decided it had exhibited itself enough and made a beeline for the treetops. ;P

benetay
30-Sep-2008, 08:31 PM
Where is the concrete spa? Don't tell me it's there. Guess i was just plain unlucky too. Luckily i still got one shot of a open wing.

:sweat: :sweat:

Commander
30-Sep-2008, 08:40 PM
Yup... that concrete spa... the one and the same. :)

benetay
30-Sep-2008, 08:42 PM
Morning 9am till 5pm, puddle the whole time never open wings. What could be the reason>