PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin --- still thriving at original site

horace2264
18-Jul-2008, 03:08 PM
With the halting of clearing work at the original site, the place seems to have returned to its previous wild condition. Paid the place a visit during lunch time, and was pleased to see quite a number of Harlequin adults hanging around.

Painted Jezebel
18-Jul-2008, 03:58 PM
Delighted to hear it. Is this just a stay of execution, or has the development been cancelled?

I wish I could give similar news from KS, but I have yet to see a single specimen this year! (Mentioning this in the hope that Sod's Law comes into effect, and I see large numbers next time I go to the forest!)

Commander
18-Jul-2008, 04:37 PM
In Singapore? Nah... we can only dream on... at the moment, the construction industry is at its peak where prices are exorbitant for development. The more astute developers are holding back on their developments to avoid crashing into the overheated industry.

In this case, the site is owned by a government agency, and they are moving in phases. But it'll be a matter of time, though I had persuaded NParks to "make some noise".

Silverstreak
19-Jul-2008, 12:47 AM
The area will definitely be gone by 2010.

With the temporary suspension in the clearing of the site , it does give us some breathing space to continue with the ex-situ translocation.

With the population at the site back to normal, I will continue the ex situ translocation to site A to reinforce those that have established themselves there, and also initiate translocation to site C.

For site C's translocation, it could be a joint exercise with Nparks. I am sure this will be good publicity for both ButterflyCircle and Nparks.

Once again active volunteers are most welcome.

:cheers:

benetay
19-Jul-2008, 12:22 PM
Upz! for the collaboration & publicity with Nparks.

Will help if i'm free during weekdays.

Cheers!

Archduke
19-Jul-2008, 12:47 PM
i wouldnt mind helping out too