PDA

View Full Version : Shot Myself !

Silverstreak
01-Jun-2008, 06:27 PM
Finally managed a shot of the elusive male silverstreak.... was wondering what the striking blue upper butterfly was till it came within range .

It is much smaller, at about 2/3 the size of the female.

Both images are heavily cropped.

:cheers:

Leopard Lacewing
06-Jun-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for sharing, Sunny! I hardly see the silverstreak... the host plants everywhere is still growing and look good. Think it's not the silverstreak season? :thinking:

The butt you took looks small in size ;P

Cheers!

Silverstreak
06-Jun-2008, 12:48 PM
Bobby ,

They are around year round, though the hostplant is used as hedges all over the island , however they are onlyfound at a few selected locations and at a specific period of the day. There are a few locations close to your home where they are always present.

Normally the females will come down to low level to feed on the hostplant ( it is both a host for the cats and food plant for the adult), they are tree sap and fruit feeder , I have not seen one feeding on flowers as yet.

The male of this species has a dazzling blue upper , it is very skittish and has a very wide safety distance, if you are lucky to see one, invariably it will always shoot up high to the tree top as you approach.

Yes the species at this particular location , both sexes are only about 2/3 the size as compare to other locations. And this first time seeing them feeding on the ripen Melastoma malabathricum fruit.

:cheers: