PDA

View Full Version : Species 315 & 316 for KS

Painted Jezebel
05-May-2008, 06:36 PM
Although it was still cloudy and windy (suffering the after effects of the Burmese cyclone), got bored at home so went out, and I have been well rewarded.

Species No 315 is Rapala suffusa berthema. (Female shown below)

Species No 316 is ????????. It is another Rapala, and using the sticky guide on the General Forum, I would say that it is closest to Rapala dioetas, in so far as the extent of red colour on the hindwing! However, the underside is the shiny colour of burnished brass, so it really does not fit that either. No photo I'm afraid.

I will be contacting that site's owner to see if he can help once it is off my setting board.

Commander
05-May-2008, 06:48 PM
You may want to check the related genus of Deudorix in your search as well. The adults of Rapala and the Deudorix appears superficially similar at times.

Just to add some Deudorix (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~EY4Y-TKNM/Deudorigini-Phil/Deudorix.html) plates from the same Rapala reference site.

Painted Jezebel
05-May-2008, 07:04 PM
I did look at Deudorix elioti, (it is about the right size and the forewing is about spot-on), but there is less red on the hindwing with my specimen and the underside is totally different.

Glorious Begum
05-May-2008, 10:20 PM
Ah.. you have found the Rapala suffusa. So my shot in KS could be the R. suffusa too. :cheers:

Painted Jezebel
06-May-2008, 12:27 AM
Ah.. you have found the Rapala suffusa. So my shot in KS could be the R. suffusa too. :cheers:

Same location too! I would say you are correct with the ID.:thumbsup: You have the honour of discovering No 315.

Glorious Begum
06-May-2008, 10:08 PM
Same location too! I would say you are correct with the ID.:thumbsup: You have the honour of discovering No 315.

Thank you very much :cheers:

Painted Jezebel
07-May-2008, 07:52 AM
You're welcome. I have now found No 317, Euploea eunice leucogonis. No photo so not starting new thread. 3 new species in 2 days, after 2 months of nothing! Things are picking up!

Glorious Begum
07-May-2008, 09:05 PM
congrats to you :cheers:

Painted Jezebel
08-May-2008, 09:12 PM
I have just been advised by Mr. Takanami in Japan, that my mystery Rapala is probably a dwarf Rapala dieneces, (they have considerably less orange/red markings on the hindwings) which means that I have to reduce my number of species by one.:cry:

I am fully aware that set specimens are not normaly shown on this site, but if I am given permission, I would like to show the specimen, just to show you how it differs from the normal specimens and why I was getting rather excited! As this species is found in Singapore, it may be good to be aware of the dwarf colouration.

Please advise whether I should, or should not post the photos (SK, I've redone them, so they are better now).

Commander
08-May-2008, 11:39 PM
Go ahead Les. Since everyone here should know by now that you are in Thailand and not in Singapore, and that you're a responsible collector in a country where collecting is not under the laws that are like in Singapore. :)

Painted Jezebel
09-May-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks, SK, I will post it on the Rapala thread on the Genral forum.

Glorious Begum
09-May-2008, 07:48 PM
I have just been advised by Mr. Takanami in Japan, that my mystery Rapala is probably a dwarf Rapala dieneces,

thought I found a +1 for KS. :cry:

Painted Jezebel
09-May-2008, 10:06 PM
LC, you did. Yours was the first confirmed Rapala suffusa (No. 315). My 'mystery Rapala' was originally No 316.