View Full Version : Butterfly Scales

horace2264
23-Feb-2008, 06:50 PM
Inspired by CM's close-up shots of the newly eclosed Centaur Oakblue in the Life History sub-forum, I tried a few close-up shots (see pics) on the wing of a butt which eclosed this morning (using a cheapo close-up filter, yet to think seriously about a MPE-65).

It is interesting to note that sawtooth-edged scales in pic #2 which is a region cropped from pic #1. C&P4 has descriptions of the different types of scales for some butt. species (but not all species). For the purpose of documentation, it might be worthwhile in future for us to take record shots of scales on the butt wing if the opportunies come our way.

BTW, based on pic 1, I guess someone might already have a very good idea on the species ID of the butt.

Silverstreak
23-Feb-2008, 07:53 PM
Wow Horace ,

Cheapo setup also can get such shot!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Common Mime
23-Feb-2008, 09:08 PM
They are like mosaic huh? Cant imagine how those fluid turns into such solid scales in such a short time (2 days)?

ok, if possible will record the scales in future.

Sky Blue
24-Feb-2008, 02:11 PM
cool lah

Glorious Begum
24-Feb-2008, 02:56 PM
wah..very cool. Must try this too. :cheers:

horace2264
24-Feb-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks, guys. It is amazing how the relatively small pupa could have produced so many neating arranged scales on the much larger surface area of the expanded wings. Is there any info on the formation of scales during the eclosion process? :thinking:

FYI, the scales shown in post #1 belong to one newly emerged specimen of Autumn Leaf (see pic). Did you guess correctly?

m00nman26
24-Feb-2008, 08:01 PM
look like some plate armour!
very cool shot!

Painted Jezebel
24-Feb-2008, 11:59 PM
Horace, I can not help with regards to actual formation of the scales, but I can other info relating to the scale colouration.

Colouration of each scale can be derived either from the insect itself or from the hostplant.

Yellow colouration of the Pieridae is provided by substances known as pterines, which are derived from uric acid and excretory product.

The red and orange colurs of many Nymphalids almost certainly come from their foodplants.

Flavones are another group of chemicals, derived from foodplants which provide the colouration for many Satyrids and Hesperids.

Black is provided by melanin, just as with us humans.

Iridescent greens and blues, such as the Arhopalas and South American Morphos, are caused by light passing through scales made from slightly separated layers, or by bouncing off scales which are ribbed.

This info is quite old, and there is probably more up to date info available, but I believe the contents here are still correct.

horace2264
25-Feb-2008, 12:04 AM
look like some plate armour!
very cool shot!
Thanks, James.
I recall some guy at the HK butterfly forum posted a thread (http://www.hkls-forum.org/viewtopic.php?t=1295) with close-up shots of wing scales of 72 (not too sure about this) species. That was really an eye opener.

In case of slow access to that site, here is the direct link to that pic.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/blackcat0208/01.jpg

horace2264
25-Feb-2008, 12:09 AM
Horace, I can not help with regards to actual formation of the scales, but I can other info relating to the scale colouration.

Colouration of each scale can be derived either from the insect itself or from the hostplant.

Yellow colouration of the Pieridae is provided by substances known as pterines, which are derived from uric acid and excretory product.

The red and orange colurs of many Nymphalids almost certainly come from their foodplants.

Flavones are another group of chemicals, derived from foodplants which provide the colouration for many Satyrids and Hesperids.

Black is provided by melanin, just as with us humans.

Iridescent greens and blues, such as the Arhopalas and South American Morphos, are caused by light passing through scales made from slightly separated layers, or by bouncing off scales which are ribbed.

This info is quite old, and there is probably more up to date info available, but I believe the contents here are still correct.

Thanks, Les for sharing with us the interesting chemical aspects of scale coloration. I will make some searches for info on scale formation when I have the time.