PDA

View Full Version : Abisara kausambi kausambi (I think)

Painted Jezebel
28-Jan-2008, 08:33 PM
I believe this to be Abisara kausambi kausambi, but the white forewing subapical markings do not quite match (nor do they match any other Abisara species in my ref books). This was found in my garden, well away from heavy forest!

Willing, as ever, to be proved wrong.

Silverstreak
29-Jan-2008, 10:50 PM
Les,

Looking at the hindwing it is rather pointed to be a A kausambi kausambi. The additional pair of legs indicates that it is a female.

Though the underside discal band is dislocated at vein 4 pointing to the possibility of it being a A Abisara geza niya, recent field observations and records shows that this might not be a reliable key ID feature as annotated in C&P4.

Just my humble opinion.

:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
30-Jan-2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks very much, Sunny. The pointed tail is an optical illusion, caused by the direction of the wings. However, your other point is very interesting. I think you are right, in which case I must change my file names. However, I will check my other photos first to see if they are the same.

In which publication did you get those photos from, as they are an excellent comparison?

Silverstreak
31-Jan-2008, 10:55 PM
Les.

The pointed wing is accompanied by a flair outwards when the wing is held at the half open position when view from the top. This is very consistent in many of my observation and shots recorded of the female of the Abisara saturata kausambioides (Malayan Plum Judy).

This characteristics is also shown in the comparative shots of the female of A.saturata kausambioides whilst the female of the A kausambi kausambi is much less pointed.

Another observation is the lower half of the outer margin of the hindwing of the female Abisara saturata kausambioides (Malayan Plum Judy) is more straight edge as compare with the more rounded form of the A Kausambi kausambi and A. geza niya.

The comparative shots was stolen from Khew's Igarashi reference.;P