PDA

View Full Version : Koh Samui hits 300!

Painted Jezebel
24-Jan-2008, 07:54 PM
What a brilliant day today. Not only do I find No. 300 for the list, but I also came across a small clump of Mile a Minute, and in just a 10 minute period, 38 different species visitied the plant (and I may have missed one or two).

1) New species:redbounce - Zemeros flegyas allica (Common Punchinello) - Female - Sorry about quality, but at least it gives you some idea of the species.

And some others from today

2) Cyrestris cocles earli (Marbled Map)
3) Dryas julia ssp - Male. This is our alien resident from C. America
4) Amblypodia anita anita (Purple Leaf Blue) - Male

Leopard Lacewing
24-Jan-2008, 10:07 PM
Congratulation for hitting 300, Les! :thumbsup:

Wow... especially the open wing shot for #2 and #3 are nice... #1 is interesting too.

Can't wait for the Koh Samui trip. haha.

Cheers!

Sky Blue
24-Jan-2008, 10:52 PM
Congratulation !! Not an easy task :cheers:

Glorious Begum
24-Jan-2008, 11:07 PM
Congratulations ! Alien #3 is excellent. :what:

Ahem, 33 more to go :bsmile:

Commander
25-Jan-2008, 12:36 AM
Dryas julia is believed to also feed on Passiflora spp, including foetida. Chances that it may one day also find its way down to Singapore. :thinking:

Silverstreak
25-Jan-2008, 01:25 AM
Les ,

Congrates for hitting 300 !

SK,
Why dun you give me and Miss Julia a helping hand when you are at KS?;-)

:bsmile:

richardlbong
25-Jan-2008, 08:52 AM
Congrats on reaching 300, Les. Your shots are improving. Love the Marbled Map shot. It has potentials.
Richard

Painted Jezebel
25-Jan-2008, 09:09 AM
Thank you all for the congrats, 300 is a milestone. The Marbled Map was probably the best of a generally good batch of photos yesterday (the Punchinellos being the exception, but needed to be shown as something new - looks better as you reduce the size!). The other photos were, however, of species exhibited here recently so I haven't posted them.

Dryas julia is believed to also feed on Passiflora spp, including foetida. Chances that it may one day also find its way down to Singapore. :thinking:

Yes, indeed. Passiflora foetida is its foodplant up here, and again, I agree that it is quite likely that it will find its way down to Singapore eventually. It is, however, an alien, and not part of the natural fauna of Asia, let alone Thailand, and its presence here is not something to be welcomed as it is competing for its foodplant with other native species.

Commander
25-Jan-2008, 09:53 AM
SK,
Why dun you give me and Miss Julia a helping hand when you are at KS?;-)

:thinking:

Yes, indeed. Passiflora foetida is its foodplant up here, and again, I agree that it is quite likely that it will find its way down to Singapore eventually. It is, however, an alien, and not part of the natural fauna of Asia, let alone Thailand, and its presence here is not something to be welcomed as it is competing for its foodplant with other native species.

So far, I haven't seen too many of them in the Malaysian butterfly farms yet. If I remember correctly the ones I shot were at the Phuket Butterfly Farm.

As the species is related to the Tawny Coster, and from the books that I've read, the egg-laying habits are like TC and LL - in the hundreds in some cases. :sweat: