PDA

View Full Version : Coon?

horace2264
17-Jan-2008, 07:53 PM
Shot this brown skipper in WWE the other day.
My ID after comparing with the BC checklist is that this is the Coon.
If confirmed, then this is a +1 for me.

Common Mime
17-Jan-2008, 08:03 PM
I think you got a +1, Horace! But I am no expert in ID.

Checked the checklist and find this shot taken by Steven Wee. The markings on both wings are sort of different from the rest?

Any comment?

http://b-pals.com/butts/photo1/227_1129380510.jpg

Commander
17-Jan-2008, 08:13 PM
Yes, Horace. This is a Coon. The shape of the wings, the body of the butt and the antennae are consistent with the Coon. The three spots near the forewing apex are also another indicator, as are the "dusting" on the hindwings. The hindwing spots are quite variable, and in some specimens that I've seen ther spots are not as distinct than others.

Congrats on your +1 :cheers:

Painted Jezebel
17-Jan-2008, 09:56 PM
Interesting! I have a large number of photos of this species, and none have those underside forewing subapical spots. Neither do they have the marginal light bands!

horace2264
17-Jan-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks, Chee Ming and Khew for the confirmation. :cheers:

kaleshs2002in
08-Jun-2008, 02:27 PM
This is Forest Hopper Arnetta jama not Coon Psolos
cheers!

Cruiser
08-Jun-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi Dr Kalesh,

Could you highlight the key features/differences between these two to be sure.

thanks in advance.

kaleshs2002in
08-Jun-2008, 09:17 PM
Hi Dr Kalesh,

Could you highlight the key features/differences between these two to be sure.

thanks in advance.

Easiest way is to see the Forewing tips.if they diverge from each other then its coon.The wings are more produced in coon.Underside hue is brown with a violetish tinge with some pale brown areas.
In Foresthopper the underside is blakish brown with grey scales occationally also with 3 apical spots and the wingtips dont diverge from each other.
cheers!

Commander
08-Jun-2008, 09:25 PM
The two shots seem to show that the forewing tips diverge. Do you have shots of the Coon to show as comparison and to illustrate what you mean?

kaleshs2002in
08-Jun-2008, 09:38 PM
The two shots seem to show that the forewing tips diverge. Do you have shots of the Coon to show as comparison and to illustrate what you mean?

No diverging means a structural feature ,here the skipper seems ready to open its wings for basking.i will upload pics in my next post.
cheers!

kaleshs2002in
08-Jun-2008, 09:54 PM
here is coon,see the anatomically diverging wing tips.The humped posture is characteristic.
cheers!

Commander
08-Jun-2008, 10:03 PM
Interesting physical attribute. Looks like C&P4 omitted to mention that anatomical feature. But the species in your shot doesn't appear to match anything we've got over here. Is there a different subspecies in India for Psolos fuligo?

What's your opinion on the following 3 shots? The last one in particular, seems to have golden spots all over its undersides. :thinking:

kaleshs2002in
08-Jun-2008, 10:30 PM
Psolos pulligo subfasciatus is the ssp that we all have.
The images ,first two are Arnetta jama,
the third seems to be a Baoris/Caltoris sps.needs upperside view.also a high resolution pic of the underside.
cheers!

horace2264
08-Jun-2008, 11:24 PM
Interesting! According to C&P4, of the genus Arnetta, we only have A. verones in this region, and furthermore this species was found in West Malaysia, and not in Singapore.

Commander
08-Jun-2008, 11:53 PM
I believe Kalesh may have meant Astictopterus jama jama which is the scientific name of the Forest Hopper in our references for Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore.

I know of no Arnetta jama unless the genus name has been revised recently. :thinking:

Astictopterus jama is listed as extant in Singapore in C&P4, so it may be that this species was mistaken for Psolos fuligo earlier. However, I'll need to re-check the voucher specimens that I have of these species.

kaleshs2002in
09-Jun-2008, 12:22 AM
I believe Kalesh may have meant Astictopterus jama jama which is the scientific name of the Forest Hopper in our references for Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore.

I know of no Arnetta jama unless the genus name has been revised recently. :thinking:

Astictopterus jama is listed as extant in Singapore in C&P4, so it may be that this species was mistaken for Psolos fuligo earlier. However, I'll need to re-check the voucher specimens that I have of these species.

yes i meant Astictopterus jama jama.
We have a Forest hopper in Southern India whose name was earlier Astictopterus jama mercara
This is now called Arnetta.so i mentioned Arnetta.
Im nor sure who/when it was revised?
any idea?

horace2264
09-Jun-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks, Khew for pointing out the other genus name which C&P4 uses for Forest Hopper. Just read this on p.351, "The unicolorous underside and porrect palpi differentiate this species from the superficially similar Psolos fuligo." I think I could tell the porrect (stretch out, forward) palpi from my shots and yours.

Commander
09-Jun-2008, 12:33 AM
Not that I know of. From recent literatures, there was an addition to the Ancistroides group of the Hesperiidae in that the genus Yania from China, was recently included into the group.

I am not aware that Astictopterus was renamed Arnetta. Perhaps you could check your sources in India if there were any scientific papers written to that effect.

kaleshs2002in
09-Jun-2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks, Khew for pointing out the other genus name which C&P4 uses for Forest Hopper. Just read this on p.351, "The unicolorous underside and porrect palpi differentiate this species from the superficially similar Psolos fuligo." I think I could tell the porrect (stretch out, forward) palpi from my shots and yours.

yep,i didn mention that bec my pics were of low resolution and feared it would cause more confusion!
cheers!

Painted Jezebel
09-Jun-2008, 09:52 AM
Thank you, you have just managed to confirm for me that I have found A. jama here, I was beginning to wonder about the ID of my specimen!

m00nman26
09-Jun-2008, 07:30 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread but i was wondering if the pic i had IDed as the coon is right?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s237/jameschia26/Butterflies/IMG_4016-1.jpg

Sky Blue
09-Jun-2008, 10:49 PM
yes i meant Astictopterus jama jama.
We have a Forest hopper in Southern India whose name was earlier Astictopterus jama mercara
This is now called Arnetta.so i mentioned Arnetta.
Im nor sure who/when it was revised?
any idea?Looking at the C&P 4 plate again, I've no doubt that what we're refer as Coon so far, is actually the Forest Hopper Astictopterus jama jama. The size of the "actual" Coon in C&P 4 is much bigger than the A. jama that we usually encounter, and the marking for the "actual" coon is so much different compare to what we shoot usually :)

Thanks Dr Kalesh :cheers:

Sky Blue
09-Jun-2008, 11:22 PM
Coon from Chin's website (http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/chinfahshin/hesperiinae/fuligo.html)

horace2264
10-Jun-2008, 12:26 AM
There is another pic (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1003/638428480_0336ee4301.jpg?v=0) at flickr. It looks like we do not have a field shot locally of Coon so far, at least not in the checklist gallery.

Commander
10-Jun-2008, 12:41 AM
Looks like the humpback posture is quite consistent.

Whilst we're at it, check out Idmon distanti distanti which C&P4 also says was extant in Singapore. That'll be another lookalike predominantly all-brown Skipper to scrutinise.

kaleshs2002in
13-Jun-2008, 03:14 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread but i was wondering if the pic i had IDed as the coon is right?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s237/jameschia26/Butterflies/IMG_4016-1.jpg

This is not coon...could be Iambrix/its allies..Idmon etc.
do u have the Upper side pics of the species?

kaleshs2002in
13-Jun-2008, 03:29 AM
Coon from Chin's website (http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/chinfahshin/hesperiinae/fuligo.html)

Both links show Coon...so recheck ur little brown skippers...u may have some interesting finds!
cheers!