PDA

View Full Version : Drupadia theda thesmia (Dark Posy)

Silverstreak
11-Jan-2008, 12:20 AM
They are still around same place same time same habit....saw 3-4 individuals today before the sky opened up

Btw, sighted 4 Great Helen around same locality.

Here is a cheap shot of the Dark Posy.

Common Mime
11-Jan-2008, 12:24 AM
You call this cheap?!!

It is so valuable to me... :-(

Painted Jezebel
11-Jan-2008, 09:44 AM
I hope you don't mind me butting into your thread, but I would like to attach another D. theda shot, this is of a female D. t. renonga, the ssp found here. I believe that the females of this ssp show a greater amount of blue scaling on the tornal area of the upper hindwing, which can just be seen here. The sun also allows you to see the forewing patch clearly.

Silverstreak
11-Jan-2008, 10:38 AM
Les ,

You are more than welcome to ride on any of my thread.

Yes, the D.t.renonga does show a greater amount of blue scaling on the tornal area of the upper hindwing.

There is also some differences on the hind wing marking between the D.t .t and the D.t.n. . which I took the liberty of flipping your shot of the D.t.n as shown below.

:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
11-Jan-2008, 10:42 AM
I've just checked my other photos of this species, and that difference seems to be constant.

Painted Jezebel
12-Jan-2008, 09:41 AM
Further examinations have revealed a further difference which puts my original ID of D. t. renonga into question. If you look at spaces 6 and 7 of the hindwing, the pattern is not that of D. theda, but of D. ravindra. However, I have already found D. r. moorei here (absolutely definitely), but that does not have the upper forewing markings. It looks more like D. r. boisduvalii which is supposed to be found only further North, and I've never seen the distinctive male of this ssp. but plenty of these females.

Comments please. HELP!