View Full Version : Revision to the Singapore Butterfly Checklist 2008

Commander
02-Jan-2008, 11:43 PM
After cross-referencing several recent books as well as the Malayan Nature Journal's C&P4 Update, I have revised the Singapore Butterfly Checklist (http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/2382/sgchecklist.htm) to reflect the latest in taxonomical classification of the species of butterflies.

The latest update in 2008 is consistent with the recent re-classification developments and updates to C&P4 in the Malaysian Nature Journal 59(1), pp 1 - 49, and DNA mapping of the family Nymphalidae by Wahlberg et al, whereby the subfamilies Nymphalinae, Heliconiinae, Limenitidinae, Cyrestinae and Apaturinae are now applicable to the Singapore checklist.

The family Riodinidae, which was earlier placed as a subfamily of Lycaenidae, has also been reinstated to the family level.

Whilst we continue to analyse and discover new aspects of the ID of our local species, we will continue with this baseline checklist, which is far more accurate and credible than any other party has ever done for the Singapore butterfly biodiversity documentation.

In particular, the families Lycaenidae and Hesperiidae are likely to yield at least more than a dozen species which are currently not recorded in our checklist. However, let us take it slowly but surely, before we lay claim to the existence of a particular species for Singapore.

Special thanks must be given to our hardworking members of ButterflyCircle, in particular our cat farmers and sharp eyed photographers (you know who you are!), for increasing the number of species in the checklist regularly and reliably with compelling evidence. Kudos to you all! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Sky Blue
03-Jan-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm trying to sync the checklist...

Noticed those under subfamily Amathusiinae are group under family Amathusiidae (Morphidae) in Pisuth, shall we adopt?

If I remember correctly, there're 2 type of family name being commonly used (don't know how to describe), basically the previous one we adopt with 5 major families & the Taiwanese / Japanese one with about 10 ~ 12 families, Pisuth is following which one?

Commander
04-Jan-2008, 10:51 PM
Pisuth is using a mix of both.

I am following C&P4 and the final paper put up in the Malayan Nature Journal by the late Col John Eliot. C&P4 has been our primary reference and I will continue to use the convention that Col Eliot and Dr Kirton uses.

Sky Blue
04-Jan-2008, 11:11 PM
ok, will sync it accordingly. Thanks ya ;-)

Painted Jezebel
04-Jan-2008, 11:24 PM
Although I have to use Pisuth for many things, as far as Systematics are concerned, I stick to C&P4.

Sky Blue
04-Jan-2008, 11:48 PM
ok, now I remember the word: Taxonomy