PDA

View Full Version : Sub-species of Moduza procris

horace2264
25-Dec-2007, 01:10 AM
Today I encountered a Commander and thought that its coloration was a bit too light. However I could only manage one shot which shows only the upperside of the left wings (pic 1).
At home I compared it to the shots in the BC checklist and could tell some differences (pic 2, by Chee Beng, was rotated for easy comparison with arrows showing differences). Looking up Pisuth's book (plate 181) shows the upperside in pic 1 matches that of Moduza procris procris, another subspecies not reported in C&P4. Wear-and-tear or really a different subsp? :thinking:

atronox
25-Dec-2007, 03:30 AM
It's a posibility, with such a marked difference.

Painted Jezebel
25-Dec-2007, 10:17 AM
Horace, if you do not mind me temporarily hijacking your thread, I have attached a male and female Moduza procris procris from Samui so you can compare. (Male first) Had not posted them before as I am still trying to get better quality ones. Hope they help!

horace2264
25-Dec-2007, 11:11 AM
Horace, if you do not mind me temporarily hijacking your thread, I have attached a male and female Moduza procris procris from Samui so you can compare. (Male first) Had not posted them before as I am still trying to get better quality ones. Hope they help!

Not at all. Your pics are very helpful and make for a good comparison.

Commander
25-Dec-2007, 04:50 PM
Not the easiest of characteristics to separate the two. We'll have to post all the male/female shots of the species found here, and compare the spots again.

It's just like the Leopard Lacewing's subspecies euanthes (from Pisuth's book) and subspecies cyane (purportedly from Borneo). Can't really differentiate the two subspecies so far.