PDA

View Full Version : Arhopala aliteaus mirabella

Painted Jezebel
16-Dec-2007, 09:22 AM
Two shots which show the variation of this species. All the books I have state that the underside of this species has a purple glaze. However, as you can see, the second photo lacks this. I am sure that it is the same species, as it has the small spot at the base of space 10 on the underside forewing.

Sorry about quality, but I really have great difficulty getting good shots of species of this genus!

290:gbounce: +2 - (Papilio mahadeva selangoranus - Burmese Raven and Zizeeria karsandra - Dark Grass Blue)

Sky Blue
16-Dec-2007, 10:29 AM
The variation in term of coloration is big, may be you've discovered a seasonal form of this species, or even a sub-species?

Painted Jezebel
16-Dec-2007, 12:56 PM
Unlikely to be seasonal. Both photos taken 15 December.

Sky Blue
16-Dec-2007, 01:18 PM
Ok, but at least for our Melanitis leda, diff seasonal form will occur together if I'm not wrong.

Commander
16-Dec-2007, 02:28 PM
Yes, according to C&P4, the Common Evening Brown's seasonal forms occur together in Kedawi.

So far in Singapore, I don't recall having seen any of the other variants other than the usual ones that we have shot. They are more variable over in Malaysia.

As for the Arhopala that Les shot, a lot depends on the wear and tear, angle of lighting when shooting the butt and so on. Over here, I've shot A. ammon and A. abseus with similar results that Les has shown. Some of the more weathered A. ammon also loses its purple sheen and looks very pale brown.

I guess for this genus, the markings are still the most reliable ID characteristics to look for and compare.

Painted Jezebel
16-Dec-2007, 10:32 PM
I think it must be down to aging. At one stage, they were within 2 feet of each other, and the differences were striking. I had hoped that the fair one may have been something different, but I have obviously been disappointed. :cry: I'll need to bear the fading factor in mind from now on.

Still only 10 Arhopala sp. on my list at present. I am positive there are plenty more.