PDA

View Full Version : Mass Order for Butterflies of Thailand

Commander
29-Aug-2007, 09:33 AM
This is a "test" to see how many members here are interested to get the book by Pisuth Ek-Amnuay - Butterflies of Thailand. Considering the origin of the book, I'd say that the printing quality and details surpass many of the other books from say, India or Taiwan.

Although English is not Pisuth's native tongue, he's done reasonably well in writing the book. Bought in Thailand, the retail price is something between $72 to $85 from various locations. If we have enough orders, perhaps the cost of shipping can be shared and that should put the price at below $100 (a conservative estimate). I believe Sunny indicated that the book ordered from more reputable shops overseas is a lot higher.

Another condition is that Les is also willing to help us make the orders and ship it out of Thailand. We will have to, of course, pay him first before the books are shipped out.

So let's see an indication of interest, before we go bug our good friend up there on Samui to do some work for us (which, I'm sure will be a worth a good dinner from me when he comes visit us in Singapore :grin2:)

Order for Butterflies of Thailand :

Silverstreak
29-Aug-2007, 09:40 AM

1. Simon
2. Sunny

Please copy and paste and add your name

Painted Jezebel
29-Aug-2007, 09:58 AM
I am very happy to help.

Rustic
29-Aug-2007, 10:08 AM

1. Simon
2. Sunny
3. CP

horace2264
29-Aug-2007, 10:34 AM

1. Simon
2. Sunny
3. CP
4. Horace

Commander
29-Aug-2007, 02:01 PM
Just got a message from Steven Neo that the book that he bought whilst he was in Chiangmai recently is one of the last few copies left. In other words, there may not be any copies left in the bookshops in Thailand at that price.

Les, how about in Samui? Have you seen the books on the shelves recently?

Steven will be emailing Pisuth to see if he has any more available.

Steven : Thanks. Now I know that the copy you got for me is even more valuable :), especially personally autographed by Pisuth!

Painted Jezebel
29-Aug-2007, 02:52 PM
I checked the shop this morning (I needed to go there so I could apply for my discount card!). They only ever have 1 or 2 copies at any one time, but said they could order them for me.

Peacock Royal
29-Aug-2007, 06:09 PM

1. Simon
2. Sunny
3. CP
4. Horace
5. Federick

Glorious Begum
29-Aug-2007, 08:02 PM
I want, I can pay the extra shipping cost from SG to KL.

Please let me know if someone can arrange that for me.

Place me name first, haha. :bsmile:

1. Simon
2. Sunny
3. CP
4. Horace
5. Federick
6. LC Goh

Sky Blue
29-Aug-2007, 10:48 PM
1. Simon
2. Sunny
3. CP
4. Horace
5. Federick
6. LC Goh
7. SC

LC, I can bring it to KL the next time when I visit my sis.

Glorious Begum
29-Aug-2007, 11:07 PM
LC, I can bring it to KL the next time when I visit my sis.

Caveman hugs Sky Blue. :redbounce Thank you, thank you :cheers:

DeJa Vu
30-Aug-2007, 02:00 AM
1. Simon
2. Sunny
3. CP
4. Horace
5. Federick
6. LC Goh
7. SC
8. LP

Cruiser
30-Aug-2007, 10:46 AM
1. Simon
2. Sunny
3. CP
4. Horace
5. Federick
6. LC Goh
7. SC
8. LP
9. benjin

Common Mime
30-Aug-2007, 03:25 PM
1. Simon
2. Sunny
3. CP
4. Horace
5. Federick
6. LC Goh
7. SC
8. LP
9. benjin
10. CM

Commander
30-Aug-2007, 04:52 PM
Ok. Order closed. ;P

Steven Neo has communicated with Pisuth and he has secured 10 books for us. We'll ask Pisuth to help to ship them out directly from Chiangmai, and pay him for the shipping costs.

Will update everyone on how/when to pay.

Painted Jezebel
30-Aug-2007, 06:55 PM
So I'm surplus to requirements. OK, I'm not hurt:cry: Its good to know that you will get them anyway. My bookshop will be very disappointed, you should have seen their faces when I said that I may need at least 10!:bsmile:

Commander
30-Aug-2007, 07:25 PM
Oops. Sorry about that, Les. :sweat: I asked Steven if it was convenient to get Pisuth to ship them to you, but he said that there wasn't any point to do so, as that would just end up with double-handling the books. Sorry for not letting you know earlier. At least we don't have to disturb you now. (But you'll still get your nice dinner when you come visit us in Singapore :grin2:)

Ok, if your local bookshop has more, it will go to anyone else who wants to order. Pisuth is personally getting the 10 books at the base price of S$72 each. That's the cheapest that we can get so far.

Painted Jezebel
30-Aug-2007, 07:52 PM
No problem. I was dreading the postage costs! When I know I coming down, I'll post, and if anyone else wants a copy, I'll be happy to bring them down. I think S$72 will be as good a price as you will ever get. With my discount, I don't think I could have got them for less than S$77, depending on the rates of exchange at the time.

Commander
01-Sep-2007, 12:47 AM
Good news. Pisuth has managed to get his hands on 10 copies of the book, and is shipping the books out by tomorrow. You guys must all thank Steven Neo for paying Pisuth via Postal Order first.

I'll let you know the final price of the book + shipping + 7% GST + PO commission. It should still be below S$100.

The books will be shipped to my house and I'll find some way of distributing them to everyone who ordered.

Goh, it may be easier for you to send Steven a Malaysian cheque. Should be able to cash here. Will let you know the final price after we make the payments and clear our Singapore postal service and pay the GST.

Commander
03-Sep-2007, 01:24 PM
Ok, the books have arrived and at my house now. I'll settle the final cost and let you guys know when and where to collect.

SC, I suggest that you pay for LC Goh first, and collect the $$$ from him when you pass him the book in KL. Easier and no need to pay extra bank charges.

The final list of buyers are as follows :

1. Simon
2. Sunny
3. Chung Pheng
4. Horace
5. Federick
6. LC Goh
7. Soon Chye
8. Li Phing
9. Ben Jin
10. Sum Chee Ming

Glorious Begum
03-Sep-2007, 02:03 PM
wah, so fast. Great jobs SK.

SC, let me know the amount, I can pay you in SGD.

lastly, thank you all again. :redbounce

Commander
03-Sep-2007, 02:24 PM
We must also thank Pisuth for being super-efficient in sending the books out, and also Steven Neo (aka Grass Demon here in ButterflyCircle), for paying via Postal Order for all of the buyers here.

Note that Steven and I already have the book ourselves, so this is just as a favour and thanks to the members here for your support and contributions to this active website. :)

Peacock Royal
03-Sep-2007, 04:48 PM
Wah , really fast and efficient. Thanks, Steven Neo, Pisuth and Khew.
Khew, I will collect from you when we meet, hopefully this weekend. I am quite eager to look at it.

Sky Blue
03-Sep-2007, 09:25 PM
ok, will pay you (Khew) the next time we meet.

LC, ok.

Commander
03-Sep-2007, 09:40 PM
The finalised cost is rounded off to S$88 (nice lucky number). There should be some spare change left, so we'll keep it as spare cash in the upkeeping of this website and license for the software we use here (just partially)

I'll make it a convenient location and be at AH this Sat, so those who have bought the books can meet me there to collect the books, and after that, still go for a shoot.

Commander
07-Sep-2007, 04:06 PM
This is to confirm that I will be at AH tomorrow from 9:30am onwards to distribute the books. Final cost is $88.

1. Simon
2. Sunny
3. Chung Pheng
4. Horace
5. Federick
6. LC Goh
7. Soon Chye
8. Li Phing
9. Ben Jin
10. Sum Chee Ming

Elbowed Pierrot
08-Sep-2007, 02:18 AM
gotta collect it some other day, have to be in the office tml

Commander
08-Sep-2007, 02:51 PM
Update :

1. Simon
2. Sunny - Paid & Collected
3. Chung Pheng - Paid & Collected
4. Horace - Paid & Collected
5. Federick - Paid & Collected
6. LC Goh - Paid & Collected by SC
7. Soon Chye - Paid & Collected
8. Li Phing
9. Ben Jin - Paid & Collected
10. Sum Chee Ming

Sky Blue
08-Sep-2007, 05:25 PM
no regret getting this one! Thanks Khew !

Painted Jezebel
08-Sep-2007, 07:36 PM
You do all realise that, now you have this book, I will no longer be able to show my amazing knowledge of butts undersides any more!:cry: :bsmile:

Enjoy! Its a great help when used in conjunction with C&P4.

Common Mime
09-Sep-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks Khew,

Will collect from you at your office some times this week. Thursday perhaps.

Thanks a lot! :)

Commander
10-Sep-2007, 12:21 AM
Ok. Let me know when you coming by. :)

Glorious Begum
29-Sep-2007, 09:42 PM
I got my book today, super joyful. :redbounce :redbounce :redbounce

Again I need to thank you all,

Pisuth, Steven Neo, Khew, SC for paying for me, and the most importantly delivery man Chee Ming (aka Common Mine).

Didn't have a chance to buy you (CHee Ming) a cup of Teh Tarik, next round when you are here. Please bring your gear and we can go shooting

Commander
01-Oct-2007, 05:41 PM
For those of you who are presently using Pisuth's 1st Edition of the Butterflies of Thailand, please note that any book of this complexity and undertaking will contain mistakes. I admire Pisuth for handling this all on his own.

However, he has been aided by a group of expert Japanese who have compiled a document indicating all the mistakes and the corrections made to the book. Pisuth has kindly forwarded a copy of the corrigenda to me.

Please note that there are quite a lot of corrections, and if you had concluded butt ID's based on the book, you may want to go back and re-check your ID again. Use C&P4 and Fleming to cross check, and you should be able to narrow down the likelihood of the species better.

Those who want the corrigenda document, please PM me with your email address that can accept a 5Mb file. It is a pdf file with tables, corrections and some colour plates.

:)

Commander
02-Oct-2007, 10:23 AM
So far, copies of the corridenda sent to :

LC Goh
Sum Chee Ming
Federick Ho
Sunny Chir
Yong San

Please note the large number of errors and mis-identifications in the plates and perhaps you can make the corrections in the book by adding notes in pencil. This will help us to ID the lookalike species better when we cross-reference with C&P4 and Fleming's books.

horace2264
02-Oct-2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks, Khew for providing the corrigenda document. This will save us some ID mistakes and confusion when cross-referencing with other books.

Right on the first page of this document, am I right to say that it misspells Thailand as Thaidalnd?

Horace

Commander
02-Oct-2007, 01:19 PM
Yup. All the authors are Japanese other than Pisuth. There could be more typographical errors in that document, but their technical knowledge on the accuracy of the ID of the species is unquestionably very good.

Some of the text also in Japanese. Anyone can translate that? :)

Silverstreak
04-Oct-2007, 03:03 PM
It seems that SBG bookshop is now stocking Pisuth's book.

Richard just got his copy at SD $85.

Commander
22-Nov-2007, 03:37 PM
Richard must have got a very special rate from Bee Choo then. I just came back from lunch with a friend and dropped by the SBG Bookshop.

Pisuth's book is on the shelves all right, but the price tag says S$124. ;P

Rustic
22-Nov-2007, 04:56 PM
I will be visiting BKK from 08 to 11 DEC. If need more copies, I can try to hunt around.
Probably will visit the (free) butterfly park next to CTC market.

Commander
22-Nov-2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the offer, Chung Pheng.

Anyone interested, please let CP know. :)

BTW, Mr Guru Simon Sng. Your book is still with me. ;P