PDA

View Full Version : Just one from Samui

Painted Jezebel
16-Aug-2007, 08:23 PM
Where have all the butts gone?! Last two days have been appalling, hardly anything around at all. Despite this, managed a couple of ++ photo wise, including one that is not pictured on the full db checklist, Neptis clinia leuconata( The Clear Sailor - another Ek-Amnuay name I guess), which I duly present for your enjoyment. Note that the underside forewing cell streak and triangular spot are sullied and nearly conjoined. This is the way to ID this species.

Sky Blue
16-Aug-2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks for sharing with us ;-)

richardlbong
16-Aug-2007, 11:06 PM
Hah! The butts in KS also suffer from the 7th month syndrome same as here in Singapore.:bsmile:
Richard

Painted Jezebel
17-Aug-2007, 05:56 PM
Is this an annual thing? If so, it occurs at the perfect time for me. It means that I can return to the UK each year at end July/August, which is when my favourite music festival takes place, the Sidmouth International Festival of Folk and Folk Arts.:redbounce

How long does this dip last, do I have to wait for the rainy season to start? And why does it occur in the first place? Remember, this is my first year living in the tropics, so still learning!

266 (Still):thumbsdow

Commander
17-Aug-2007, 06:16 PM
Ha ha... that's not what Richard meant. In the Chinese culture, the 7th month in the Chinese Lunar calendar is the "Month of the Hungry Ghosts". This is the month when the Gates of Hell open and all the ghosts come to town.

Usually, it is bad luck to do anything important, like moving house, getting married, etc. Parents will also discourage their children from going to forests and dark places, just in case they meet these ghosts.

I believe there are such details of the Hungry Ghost Month if you search the internet enough.

Welcome to Asia and our quirky cultures.

Wait till you hear about the bomohs, pontianaks and all sorts of other gods, demons and what-nots in our very superstitious multi-racial culture.

Silverstreak
17-Aug-2007, 06:21 PM
Les ,

Khew beats me to it ..... on the Ghost Month.

But seriously I believe the low butt activities or at least the weather, in the last two days here in Singapore and perhaps KS, is likely due to the atmospheric condition brought about by Typhoon Sepat which is over Taiwan now.

Check here on the Typhoon and see its effect on regional weather chart. (http://intranet.mssinet.gov.sg/%7Erndops/ship/gif/wxchart.gif)

Hmmm din read the barometer to substantiate whether the barometer actually dipped , actually we dun really care;P ........ ..Down here we do not have much variation in the atmospheric pressure , normally on a normal day it rise from morning till around 10 am them dip slightly but stay within a very small band, unlike in the temperate region the barometer varies greatly and affect the activity level of most insects and birdlife.

Painted Jezebel
17-Aug-2007, 06:31 PM
Thank you Sunny, SK. Ghost Month eh! :omg: I must avoid going to my forest waterfall then! No chance!!!!!!! Even if I see nothing, its still worth it. If it is atmospheric, we should be back to normal in a few days then.

Commander
17-Aug-2007, 06:33 PM
Don't worry. Our ghosts only go after us Chinese only. They don't like 'ang-mohs'. You'll have to wait for Halloween to meet your own ghosts. :bsmile: